Keys for Christmas need some advice / ideas

koberlee

Seaman
I am headed to the keys for Christmas and we have a place to stay on Cudjoe Key right off Kemp Channel. I have never cruised in salt water and have gotten my self prepared through a couple other threads. I have been studdying charts every night and have laid out some possible day trips. I know Bahia Honda State Park is a must see.

My question is if we wanted to venture to Key West or some of the other keys and dock the boat to get lunch or do some sight seeing are there places where you can dock for the day or for a few hours? And if so how do you find these places and do you need to call ahead?

I would also like any ideas on places to go around Cudjoe Key. I purchased a Cruising the Florida Keys book and have read it but it calls out Marinas for overnight cruisers. We are going to be cruising in a 17' bow rider so I just need places I can get gas and stop for short periods.

Any help and ideas is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kyle

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Keys for Christmas need some advice / ideas

we spend August on Little Torch Key. to navigate like you want, you need a compass, gps, depth finder with alarm, and good charts. there are many little islands, and marshes, shallows. it is easy to run aground, i've done it several times.

you have to keep your eyes to the sky, the local weather report, 99% of the time is the exact same everyday. chance of squalls. these can get rough in a hurry, and be gone just as quick.

my #1 recommendation, is Strike Zone Charters, on the going back up to Big Pine Key, they are on the left, just as you cross the bridge on to Big Pine. they have a 1/2 day cruise out to Looe Key, which is one of the most beautiful reefs, in the keys. you can either snorkel, scuba, or look thru the glass bottom. it's about $30-40 per person. well worth the trip.

we now take our 23 footer out to Looe Key on our own.

another must see, and dine, is NO NAME PUB. the best pizza you ever put in your mouth.

http://www.adventureyears.com/main/United_States/Florida/Big_Pine_Key/884.htm

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2978647-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i

http://www.nonamepub.com/

koberlee

Seaman

Yep, I got a chart book for the keys and the east coast of Florida that I have been studdying every chance I get, I have a gps (it is a garmin hand held e-trex, do you think this will be effective?) and I have a fish finder with depth alarms.

I am not a speed deemon by any means when I boat and I have been reading up on the many ways the keys can be trecherous.

some one had a saying about the water color I heard and I can not remember it.

Thanks for the advice

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have boating some around KW and it is one of my fav places. Not a whole lot of places to eat on the water, you can pay small fee around KW city marina and tie up for lunch. The water is gin clear so it takes a while to get used to seeing the bottom when it is 20 ft deep. I think the saying is blue/green deep and mean, brown brown run aground or something. You must stay in channels or you will get in trouble in a hurry. If you could get a GPS with chart data would be helpful but not required if you have hand held. If you are unsure if you are in right place and ina channel go slowly, lots of coral and running aground is ugly. If you have a spare prop, take it along , you never know.
Yep, I got a chart book for the keys and the east coast of Florida that I have been studdying every chance I get, I have a gps (it is a garmin hand held e-trex, do you think this will be effective?) and I have a fish finder with depth alarms.

I am not a speed deemon by any means when I boat and I have been reading up on the many ways the keys can be trecherous.

Thanks for the advice

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

I would not venture too far offshore with a 17' bowrider. The wind cancome up in a hurry and depending where you are can cause a lot of grief. Just be aware and don't let the beautiful clear water lull you in to complacency. The beaches off Bahia Honda are very safe with not much coral in the shallows. Also the old rusty train trestle is a great close in fishing spot, also right at Bahia Honda. Have fun and hope you have a good trip. The wife and I have been promising ourselves a Keys trip, so we are looking forward to heading back down there ourselves.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use a hand held GPS there, and VHF. i highly recommend that you join Seatow, and also get the roadside trailer insurance. trailers are not covered under AAA or any other roadside trouble card.
http://seatow.com/index.asp

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can certainly agree with MIKENEAL on the gin clear water. Amazing, it can be 2 ft. or 20, so clear you cant tell. Spent the week during fantisy fest on LITTLE TORCH at a place called PALMERS. Was to windy and rainy to rent a boat so I cant comment on navigating the waters.
There is a place on LITTLE TORCH that has a long dock to pull up to but no gas. Called PARROITDISE, might be good for lunch but better for dinner. You can see it from the bridge, gulf side. Land side on RAMROD is BOONDOCKS on the RT. heading south ( really west at that point) , recommend hanging out at the bar, food did not impress me but the locals at the bar did. Locals and a friend who lives on RAMROD recommend a place called SQUARE GROUPER, believe it is on CUDJOE, left heading south. TASHADADDY mentiones the NO NAME BAR, locals also recommend this place for a pie, Its not a pizza, its a PIE ( new york thing) just like one side of the river its a HERO, on the jersey side its a submarine sandwich. Anyway, tough to find. Leave LITTLE TORCH and go to the next key up, lots of key deer warning signs. At the stop light make a left. This is like a 5 corners and you will see 2 roads coming into the intersection. Bear right and follow the road till you come to the road closed, bridge out sign. Make a left down to the next road and turn right. Dont dispare, you will see a sign that says YOU HAVE FOUND IT. Worth the trip.
While there be sure to go to the BAT TOWER. Located on SUGAR LOAF on the right. Look for the CESSNA airplain on the right, turn down the road and continue until it looks desolate. I was impressed by all the lumber and how it has stood up over the years. Might be something that is going to be fameous as there was a float in the fantisy fest parade based on it. Story goes that the mosquitoes ate the bats when they were released.
Just in case, bring some RAID flying inscect spray with you as well as SPORTSMANS spray with DEET. If you dont need it, good for you but be prepaired for NO-SEE-EMS, especially around the ankles. Really think you will enjoy yourself. Almost forgot, the beach at BAHA HONDA park is great, has facilities and showers. regards FRED

koberlee

Seaman

We do not plan on heading out very far. Pretty much the same plan as when we are ont he big lake up here. Keep an eye on the sky an ear on the radio and never venture to far from a safe haven in a small boat. Lake Michigan can go from calm to 3 to 5' in no time also.

I have heard a lot about No Name Pub my inlaws took their Harleys down there last year and still talk about that place all the time.

Thanks for all of the advice guys.

pine island fred have they fixed the marina up yet down there last time I was there 2 years ago the new building had just collapsed. Also did they ever rebuild the little store I was so sad to see that it wasn't there. We were on our way out to camp on Cayo Costa (i love that Island). We would always run right into that little block store after spending a week on the island and grab a cold beer after a week of having nothing cold.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice

Blue, Blue, Come on thru.
Green, Green, Nice and clean.
White, White, you might.
Brown, brown, run aground.
Nightstalker