key turn met with silence

been having a sporadic problem in that when I turn the key to fire up the boat get absolutely nothing, as if there isn't even a single volt getting sent to the motor. If I do it 3 or 4 times, it will take right off. Is this a bad ignition switch, a selenoid somewhere or what? I'm having a reman long block installed soon and what this problem addressed at the same time.

MikDee

Banned
Re: key turn met with silence

First thing I'd check for is clean, lightly lubed, tight battery cables, and ground connections.

Daddy5295

Seaman

I would turn the key on and use a volt meter at the solenoid to see if you are getting power there or not.

texomatom

Seaman

When I had this problem, it was a cheap and easy fix. My slave solenoid needed replaced. I would start there.
HTH
Tom

mike456

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Follow Don S instuctions and you will never go wrong. Chances are its as easy as some rust on the connections. Good luck

Thanks guys. Is that tester something that runs off the lighter and where could I pick one up? Would an Auto Zone type place have one?

oh-u812?

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Autozone will have. No cigarette lighter involved, unless your testing it, that's the ground clip.