Keeping minnows alive

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We frequently go camping/fishing at a park where it is 7 or 8 miles to go get bait. I was thinking about getting an aerator and keeping the minnows in a large coleman cooler with an ai. My question is, would they stay alive a day or two this way? Is there anything I need to add to the water? We have an RV but I was thinking of keeping the cooler outside with the aerator running.

KCLOST

Commander
Re: Keeping minnows alive

That will work great as long as the water is not full of chlorine or those other chemicals you find in tap water.... Just get some of that chlorine remover stuff if you use tap water.<br /><br />You want to make sure that the aerator really does a good job of circulating the water. Which may require a pump that is bigger that you thought. You want the water moving just as much as bubbling. And make sure the air is recieved from outside of the cooler so it is fresh...<br /><br />The biggest problem you will have is keeping the water cool. You want to keep it ss cool as it was at the bait store or cooler. I either use half gallon or gallon size milk jugs that are full of frozen water.. I'll place one in there every now and then to keep the water cooled down... <br /><br />When you are ready to fish just take out what you need and put them in one of those metal minow buckets with the strainer insert. Place it in the water and they will do fine as long as the water is moving a little...

txswinner

Banned

Minnows stay alive best as KC says but I have found a plain styrofoam cooler works better than other ice chest. I keep bait alive all day in 90 temps with a pump and a styro ice box.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

cranky, if you're talking about shad, forget about it, those things die off in minutes without one a those fancy temp-controlled oxygen-infusion bait tanks like all the Texoma guides have.<br /><br />Otherwise, you really have three issues to deal with.<br />1. Oxygen depletion. You have to refresh the oxygen fast as the fishies use it up. You can get an aerator that recirculates water & sprays it into the air so it absorbs oxygen. But I think its better to get one of those that pumps air into the water through one of those "stones". The tinier the bubbles, the better the oxygen uptake. They got those at Academy. Also that'll set up a little bit of current which is good. Too much current is bad though it'll tire 'em out.<br /><br />2. Temperature which klost covered. Also remember that cooler water will absorb & hold oxygen better than warmer water. If you're talking about those steel coleman coolers, those are great. I bet that'll do the job, just keep an eye on 'em during the day if they're in the sun.<br /><br />3. Waste removal. Those poor guys are pooping in their atmosphere, so to speak. You've got to refresh the water, replace it completely ever so often. Not sure exactly how often. Depends on how densely you got 'em pack in there.<br /><br />Sorry I don't know more of the details, that's just some stuff I remember from some research last fall when I was thinking about doing some bait fishing. I decided to just stick with artificials.<br /><br />Hey, good luck & post back to let us know how it worked out. Also some pics of the fish would be nice.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick responses. I bought an aerator for 20-60 gallon aquariums. I will have to see how it moves the water when I get it hooked up. jtexas, my grandfather took us fishing for years and we only fished with minnows. He was only interested in catching crappie, although he knew how to fish for just about anything. I wish now I had paid more attention to him as I am having to relearn a lot. I would like to try/learn artificials more but I spend quite a bit of time driving the boat and baiting hooks for Mrs Cranky and Cranky jr :) If I/they catch anything I will post a picture.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Plop-Plop...Fizz-Fizz.......... <br />I've heard of old timers using Alka Seltzer tablets to keep water in their bait containers bubbling.

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as you keep the water around 70 deg and the lid open on the cooler at least part way and all the way open when it can be the minnows will survive just fine. As far as oxygenating the water there are several ways to go. Some types are oxygen pills, 12v areator as well as areators that will run for many hours off of regular D cell batteries. just remember the oxygen supply must come from ouside of the cooler not from the spent air inside. Keep your cooler in the shade and plenty of air supplied to the water occaisional ice helps if the water starts warming up and your lil guppies'll be just fine.

rwise

Captain

Has anyone tried Epson(sp) salts, I have heard that that will help also. Where I buy minnows they have well water, it has a salt content to it and minnows last very well doing nothing other than keeping them in the shade.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It sounds wild, but we put them in wet newspaper and cover them with ice. Usually stay alive for a day or two this way.

txswinner

Banned

Nope, keep em hungry so they can attack a bass and grab him by the cheek.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by azfyrfyter63:<br /> Don't they need to eat too?
hey, you're not one a those PETA types are you?<br /><br /> ;) jus kiddin

KRS

Banned

SAVE THE MINNOWS!!! hehehehe (because they taste great)

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess you guys never heard of catch and release for the next guy to catch!<br />peta = people eating tastey anmals<br /><br />Rich

walleyehed

Admiral

Common rock salt added at about an average handfull for every 20 gallons of water...<br />The salt is to subdue the fish, relieve stress and lowers the O2 requirement of the fish.<br />As for a spray bar, a very fine mist is better than masive aggitation...the fine mist adds more usable O2 than a stone due to a finer atomization.

oddjob

Commander

I've used a 5 gallon bucket with a cheapy stone Aerorator for years. A fella at a bait shop told me not to change the water until neccessary. And then only replace about a 1/3 of fresh water. I have kept them for two days in my garage. Never even considered temperature but I would always keep in the shade.<br /><br />I dont know if it's true but a friend of mine said a 5 gal. bucket works best because it reduces the amount of head trama the fishes recieve from running into corner after corner when your fish'n for them. :rolleyes: maybe it holds true with the soft styrofoam.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I use an aqarium pump and charcoal filter setup for my shad (mooneyes,sawbellies)with a few ice cubes in the filter top.It keeps the water at about 40 degrees.the ones I want to use in the next few hours,go in a five gallon bucket with a stone airpump.Never change the water temperature instantly because all the sensitive fish will die of temperature shock.

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I thought it mostlty had to do with the fact that the fish are starving to death - they have not eaten since they were taken from the fish farm - that the stores that sell them do not feed them.<br /><br />so you have to use them right away<br /><br />The other stuff about filtering is true as well bubblers just provide air they do not clean the water.