Keep the boat and fix or sell???

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 sea ray 180 bowrider, I payed $2500 for the boat. Took the boat out on the lake and the engine has a crack in the block strte spraying that milkshake look oil everywhere. I have it at the shop and am in a dilemna as to sell as is and cut my losses or fix it up. The interior is in great shape for the age no rips or years and the hull is in great shapes as well not been beached or anything hardly any scratches even. The transom is also in great shape and appears to have no cracks at all on it. A new reman is gonna run me about $1500 and then about $1000 to have someone install the new engine.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Keep the boat and fix or sell???

Fix it.....you'll still only have 5k in a nice boat.

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry. I'm located in east tn very close to about 4 or 5 different lakes.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I don't know there are other factors at play here. If you have some $ laying around, maybe consider buying something newer and cutting your losses. It depends on what lens you are looking through. If it were me (truly in the conditional tense) I'd sell it for whatever I could get for it and buy something in the 2000's. If it was my neighbor, he may say fix it and live with the devil you know.

utbasketballloft

Seaman Apprentice

I can get 1-1500 for the boat as is but I highly doubt I'm going to find something in the 2's in good shape and running sounds very doubtful. If I sell and buy a boat it will be about 5-6k for a good quality boat that's in good shape. If I spend the money on this I'm 5 or 6 k into another boat where as I can be in te boat I have now at 5 or 6 k and know what I have that's kind of my stance.

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can get 1-1500 for the boat as is but I highly doubt I'm going to find something in the 2's in good shape and running sounds very doubtful. If I sell and buy a boat it will be about 5-6k for a good quality boat that's in good shape. If I spend the money on this I'm 5 or 6 k into another boat where as I can be in te boat I have now at 5 or 6 k and know what I have that's kind of my stance.

If it were me I'd fix it. It's just like trading one used car you've repaired for another; dont know what problems you're adopting that you may have already fixed.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You'd be into the other boat to $7500-$8500, not $5000- $6000.....

A boat without a motor is pretty much Worthless....

Not doin' yer own Labor is the killer...

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I say fix it. There is always something cool about an older boat that is great shape. You will be hangin with the high dollar boats but you know that yours cost tons less... and hey, they both will do the same thing. Float on the water :) If you have to pay personal property taxes, like we do in kansas, owning an older boat is WAY cheaper. Fix it ;)

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I say really look over it and if everything else is nice then fix it. I don't think you are going to find a newer boat cheaper than what you will have unless it needs work.

ebrich2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1990 sea ray 180 bowrider, I payed $2500 for the boat. Took the boat out on the lake and the engine has a crack in the block strte spraying that milkshake look oil everywhere. I have it at the shop and am in a dilemna as to sell as is and cut my losses or fix it up. The interior is in great shape for the age no rips or years and the hull is in great shapes as well not been beached or anything hardly any scratches even. The transom is also in great shape and appears to have no cracks at all on it. A new reman is gonna run me about $1500 and then about $1000 to have someone install the new engine.

we are gonna be on vacation memorial day week in your area, i wouldn't mind looking at it if you haven't sold it by then, thanks