Keel Guard

DAG

Cadet
Has any one used this product. We have a Chap 183 and beach often. I believe this would protect the boat.<br />Any advice?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Doug

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Keel Guard

I put one on my boat (new last season) <br /><br />It does indeed give a little more peace of mind when beaching.<br /><br />My exprience...... it was fairly easy to apply and have been happy with the protection which it has afforded to the bottom of my boat......Thumbs Up.

qapd

Seaman Apprentice

Doug,<br /><br />I was looking to replace mine. It was starting to turn loose on the aft end. I contacted KeelShield and KeelGuard asking for samples to color match the hull.<br />I determined mine was actually a KeelGuard. While looking at their web site I noticed a lifetime guarantee. I contacted them inquiring about the guarantee. To my surprise they informed me the lifetime guarantee started 3 years ago but they would warrant mine at 50% no questions asked. I was impressed they would step up to the plate like that. Needless to say they have a new customer. I would highly recommend KeelGuard to anyone.<br />If you currently have a keel protector installed let me tell you it is tuff to get the foam and glue removed. The easiest process we discovered is to remove the current guard. This will leave a layer of foam and adhesive. We heated this material with a heat gun. (hairdryer on steroids). I used a door shim (wood) as a scraper. Be careful not to over heat or get this goop on you, its hot. After the foam is scraped away the best you can, I used acetone in a squirt sprayer. Let it sit for a few seconds and use another scraper to remove layers of glue. Do this in a well-ventilated area and no flames or sparks. This stuff is very flammable. Squirt wait and wipe till it is all gone.<br />Follow the instructions for installation. It has to be 70-80 degrees to install. I will use the heat gun to make the new guard pliable in the spring when I install my new guard.<br /><br />Good luck,<br /><br />qapd@houston.rr.com<br />Pasadena, Tx<br />'97 Mako 191

NYMINUTE

Captain

I posted this question a while back and the resposes were positive. I have purchased an 8' kit from West Marine ($197.00) and plan to install this spring. Looks like a good investment

Regal-89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I picked up the exact one from ebay (black 8ft) for $85.00. Brand new, so you might want to go over there and look to see what you can find. It was a "buy it" price, so there was no need to bid. I love mine.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

In my opinion...if you beach your boat, keelguards are a mus-have. I've got them on the baot and Seadoo. I beach both craft almost everyday, and although its sandy you'll go through the gel coat in one season without them. Myself and my neighbors all have them. Currently I'm going on year five with a keel guard on the boat...it's adhered well but will touch up with clear marine caulking on entire perimeter in the spring. I got two on eBay for $125.

DAG

Cadet

Thanks for all of the great info.<br />-Doug