keel guard

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I want boating in the ohio and put a few decent dings in my keel (barges were stirring crap up). No punctures or anything though. Is it okay to install a keel guard/shield at this point?

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: keel guard

Absolutely- in fact, many, many ugly transgressions on keels have been covered up by keel guards. I don't know of many boats that don't have at least some scratcing on the keels if the boats are used at all. The beauty of the guards is that they are very durable, resilient and protective. Just make certain you follow the directions to the letter as the surface must be perfectly clean for best adhesion. Also, read the directions as to how to attach the thing because if you touch the boat with the adhesive, they are VERY aggressive and may not be able to be removed without damaging the piece.
I've had a keel guard on my last 3 boats and I'll never have a boat without one. Well worth the money IMHO.

UFM82

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: keel guard

Just ordered a keel guard for my boat... I WAS going to do it earlier this spring, decided I didn't need to as I boat on a really sandy river, almost no rocks.

Well for memorial day I went to a difference lake, and only had to beach ONCE to pick up people. Yep, guess what. Parked it right on top of a rock. Took out some gelcoat in two different spots.

I'm going to epoxy the spots over just to seal it up, and then keelguard over the top of it all to hide the transgression as ufm82 put it!