Kayak in Hawaii

Prin

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone have any knowledge of kayak rentals in Hawaii. We will be going there for vacation soon and I have never had any experiences with a kayak. This seems like a great place to try one out. Any suggestions?

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Kayak in Hawaii

Beautiful place to try it out. Plenty of kayak rental places. You will want to go to the leeward side of the island to avoid the killer surf; surfboards are for the other side.

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What studly said, leeward side of the islands are surprisingly calm (most days) The other side is for the wind surfers etc. Beautiful water...Also the whales are increadible to see in the winter months...Paridise on earth...Enjoy!

Prin

Seaman Apprentice

Do they use mostly Sit on Top kayaks or enclosed in Hawaii? Which do you recommend if there is a choice? I have never kayaked before.

Thanks

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most of the ones were sit-on-tops. Because of the warm water, getting alittle wet is not really an issue. Also no need to carry any gear. Your freedom of movement is better..

However, the guys that were going out in deeper, rougher water were using the enclosed "touring" kayaks...Drier, more stable, faster, and able to take on the waves better.

If the rental has both, ask to try out both to see what you like...I do like the touring type alittle more just because of the stability factor, your center of gravity is lower in the water...

Prin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information. We will be there on Monday and will give it a try. Aloha.