Kad32 Turbo

Sam Jenkins

Seaman Apprentice
Evening having issues with a volvo penta kad32 not making the revs. Have fitted a boost gauge onto the inlet manifold. Boost pressure completely falls off when supercharger is un plugged manually
Would the verdict be that the turbo is knackerd. Looking at the gap between the housing and the turbine veins
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_8357.jpeg
    IMG_8357.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

alldodge

Staff member
I've seen some bad looking turbos but that might be the worst other then the one that came apart. Housing and vanes don't look great but the top of turbo looks like it has a hole

Sam Jenkins

Seaman Apprentice
Its definitely been easten away. Not surprising with how close it is to the water line.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Evening having issues with a volvo penta kad32 not making the revs. Have fitted a boost gauge onto the inlet manifold. Boost pressure completely falls off when supercharger is un plugged manually
Would the verdict be that the turbo is knackerd. Looking at the gap between the housing and the turbine veins
Cheers
Hi..
With certainty, I can tell you that your turbo is absolutely in real bad shape there. The clearance tolerance between the vanes and the casing there is hugely beyond what it should be. I might also add that the extreme carbon build up present there, is likely what has worn the tolerance so badly. Probably what has caused visible signs of contact on the leading edges of the vanes/blades too.
This is caused by a poor combustion (poor injector maintenance or a number of other things) condition initially, then hugely accelerated to a worsened state by the turbo not performing or allowing enough air to burn the fuel properly. That and any issue with superchargers will do this. Believe it or not, there are a load of kad32 owners that actually interfere with these, by having a means of de clutching the super charger at lower rpm...just to stop the annoying noise of them when cruising at a sustained speed that would normally have the SC in operation. This doesn't help things at all really.
Anyway, your turbo in the health it looks to be in, usually means that the casing might be worn past service tolerance too. This being the case, you won't get away with just a rebuild/cartridge change out.
While you have the turbo off, I definitely recommend that you replace the exhaust elbow too. These are simply infamous for corrosion failure. Their ability to seal to the turbo is also a known issue too. Yours will almost certainly be on its way to causing issue, if it hasn't already.

Best of luck

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I've seen some bad looking turbos but that might be the worst other then the one that came apart. Housing and vanes don't look great but the top of turbo looks like it has a hole
Might be the sealing clamp you are looking at there AD. Or can you see something holed on the inside of the casing there ? I will have another look.