Just wondering and curious

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am in the process of renovating a trihull Magnum 15 footer open bow (not the expensive high speed Magnum ). I am making it a fishing boat for my purpose only. I am down to the point of cutting new stringers and patterning the wood replacement pieces. I have a Garmin Echo 200 fish finder that I like for my purpose. The transducer is now mounted on the back of the boat and sometimes gets knocked around when in brush and rocks. Would it be advisable to let it shoot thru the hull? I looked on the Garmin site and can't find anything on thru the hull mounting. There is really no flat surface on the hull except on the bottom and it looks like plywood is embedded in the fiberglass , so it would have to be mounted at an angle. Would I loose sensitivity on the fish finder in doing so? How would I do it ? Has anyone else mounted this fish finder for the "thru the hull effect? I have attached a couple of pics showing the inside of the hull . None are too detail to show the hull as I see it. In the middle it looks like about 6 inches of flat surface but thats the area I think that has plywood embedded in the fiberglass.2013-01-14 12.11.59.jpg

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Just wondering and curious

Well, it won't shoot thru wood and you need a nice clean bubble free fiberglass for it to work well. I do think that it won't work as well shooting thru fiberglass as pure water and you will lose sensitivity. You could put a guard around it on the back of your boat to protect it. If you mount it at an angle it won't give you accurate depth readings. JMHO

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats kinda my thoughts but wanted some opinion from someone who tried it. I never thought shooting thru the hull on any boat was as good as in the water. But since I was doing a real customizing I was thinking of it.

etracer68

Ensign

"sometimes gets knocked around when in brush and rocks"

If your transducer is hitting rocks, what does the bottom of the boat look like. Your transducer shouldnt be getting close to any rocks.

leesumm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I "bank fish" a lot from the boat. I back my rear end to the bank and tie off there. Sometime there is rocks or brush piles I get into and it moves the transducer around. Hard to explain but my type of fishing. Bottom of the boat is good a few scratches but on the center at the front is a "gouge of sorts" but its getting a face job in the renovation.