just what do i have force-merc-chrysler

ferg57

Cadet
can some one out there clear this up for me, i have a 90hp force ser#123251 model#ho90412rd i have been told it,s a merc lower unit with chysler head also ,that it was just a bottom of the line plane jane merc, would or could any one answer this for me. thank you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: just what do i have force-merc-chrysler

Your motor was made by Mercury.

The original design was by West Bend Co.
They were bought by Chrysler.
They were bought by US Marine.
they were bought by Mercury.

Mercury replaced the lower unit with one of theirs, and put in a different ignition. Other components were upgraded/replaced over the years also.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

To make it clear it isn't a Merc.It is a Force with some Merc. components.

RRitt

Captain

i think you have a 1997.

Of all the revisions mercury made to the engines there are two to watch out for. One is self-destructing stators. This problem plagued all mercuries and was not specific to Force. Perhaps someone here knows the year that mercury discovered the problem and corrected it. It may pre-date your engine. The other problem is self-destructing powerheads. You know when you go to start your engine and it makes that pffft backfire every once in a while? That's a cold sneeze and it cracks mercury reed valves. Which causes your engine to run lean. Which causes it to run hot and not to have enough oil. Which causes it to self-destruct. To my knowledge mercury did not change the manifold design and you can put in the more durable metal reeds from the chrysler era. However, I doubt that you will get the same performance or efficiency. Boyensen makes reeds for your engine that are approx 1/3 the cost of mercury replacements ($120ish per set?). They too are made from composite material and will crack with time.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

It may pre-date your engine
Stators were culprits 'till 89 I think (been there with my 88), and the one piece driveshafts snapped on the 25 inch models (don't ask)
After that, well, still a Force motor, with Merc upgrades and 2 piece DS, and 100% better..

thelightning

Cadet

Force indeed run hot if nto taken care of because the upper cylinder becomes dirty of black crap what makes it run hot.

I buy Quicksilver Powertune to clean the cylinders out every 10/15gallons or so

RRitt

Captain

It may pre-date your engine
Stators were culprits 'till 89 I think (been there with my 88), and the one piece driveshafts snapped on the 25 inch models (don't ask)
After that, well, still a Force motor, with Merc upgrades and 2 piece DS, and 100% better..

I beg to differ.

First, the self destructing stators were a mercury product introduced when mercury tried to use a universal stator in both force and mercury outboards. I am not talking about a 30 year old stator that finally falls apart. I am talking about a stator that fell apart one day after warranty runs out. It was a problem that plagued both force and mercury brands with equal frequency until mercury corrected the manufacturing/engineering defect.

Second, it is MercuryForce and not ChryslerForce that has self-destructing powerheads. You can go browse ebay and look for people who are selling parts because their power head blew. The premature failures are almost always mercury.

The Chrysler engine was a simple, noisy, fuel guzzling motor that was inexpensive to maintain. It also was an underachiever on horsepower. It was a simple, basic engine intended to deliver maximum lifespan at minimum cost. A feat that it accomplished exceptionally well and a benefit that it continues to deliver.

The mercury version was built to be cheap. cheap, cheap, cheap. Mercury did not care if it cut the life of your engine in half. If it saved them $1 then they would do it. And their engineering efforts showed in the result. Some of their changes were good but most were just corner cutting without regard to motor lifespan.

So, I say that the MercuryForce is a 100% inferior engine.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I beg to differ.

First, the self destructing stators were a mercury product introduced when mercury tried to use a universal stator in both force and mercury outboards. I am not talking about a 30 year old stator that finally falls apart. I am talking about a stator that fell apart one day after warranty runs out. It was a problem that plagued both force and mercury brands with equal frequency until mercury corrected the manufacturing/engineering defect.

Second, it is MercuryForce and not ChryslerForce that has self-destructing powerheads. You can go browse ebay and look for people who are selling parts because their power head blew. The premature failures are almost always mercury.

The Chrysler engine was a simple, noisy, fuel guzzling motor that was inexpensive to maintain. It also was an underachiever on horsepower. It was a simple, basic engine intended to deliver maximum lifespan at minimum cost. A feat that it accomplished exceptionally well and a benefit that it continues to deliver.

The mercury version was built to be cheap. cheap, cheap, cheap. Mercury did not care if it cut the life of your engine in half. If it saved them $1 then they would do it. And their engineering efforts showed in the result. Some of their changes were good but most were just corner cutting without regard to motor lifespan.

No, no, no..I am in agreement! Just saying that they more or less got better, that more or less junk to begin with, well, a 100% improvement is better, but just a little better running junk...:D

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I beg to differ.

No, no, no..I am in agreement (MercuryForce is a 100% inferior engine)..! Just saying that they more or less got better after what 89?90?91???, that more or less junk to begin with, well, a 100% improvement is better, but just a little better running junk...:D

RRitt

Captain

No, no, no..I am in agreement (MercuryForce is a 100% inferior engine)..! Just saying that they more or less got better after what 89?90?91???, that more or less junk to begin with, well, a 100% improvement is better, but just a little better running junk...:D

they got worse after 1991. they may have run a little better but they were far less dependable. IMO, the best years were USMarine with black ignition coils.

My opinion regarding Force is best summed up by an experience at a local boat ramp. One of the ramp groupies said "Force, aren't those made by mercury?" To which I replied "These engines are chrysler. If they were mercury then they wouldn't still be running."

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

they got worse after 1991. they may have run a little better but they were far less dependable. IMO, the best years were USMarine with black ignition coils.

My opinion regarding Force is best summed up by an experience at a local boat ramp. One of the ramp groupies said "Force, aren't those made by mercury?" To which I replied "These engines are chrysler. If they were mercury then they wouldn't still be running."

Most I know is what my 88 125 has made me learn on C/F-M..seems I was thinking the wrong way..(got better instead of worse), but thinking back in the old days, I remember looking back at a lot of friends Chryslers, and sure'nuff..they WERE all running! Maybe if Merc would have left them white wouda helped?:D
PS..least the 2 piece DS stopped the one piece breakage

RRitt

Captain

Most I know is what my 88 125 has made me learn on C/F-M..seems I was thinking the wrong way..(got better instead of worse), but thinking back in the old days, I remember looking back at a lot of friends Chryslers, and sure'nuff..they WERE all running! Maybe if Merc would have left them white wouda helped?:D
PS..least the 2 piece DS stopped the one piece breakage

your '88 was a USMarine. Mercury bought Force in '91. Yours was one of the better years.

I never had a problem with my driveshafts but I have heard this before. I always assumed that it must be caused by neglecting anodes. Force is a freshwater design at heart. If you use it in saltwater then anode maintenance is critical.