Just rebuilt the LU w new Oem gears,seals. Having trouble reinstalling pinion gear. 1972 Rude 65hp

Just did a rebuild on LU. Any tips on getting pinion back on? Oil pump seems to have seated correctly on guide pin. Maybe tap it back using the 1/4" threaded rods I used to pull it with? Driveshaft doesn't line back up w spline portion of pinion when looking down through lower bearing in LU. The bearing is good and in proper position. Any pointers? Thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The driveshaft has to line up.------Best to remove the oil pump and start over.----And have you selected the correct shims for the pinion ?

The driveshaft has to line up.------Best to remove the oil pump and start over.----And have you selected the correct shims for the pinion ?
I used the same shims that came out. They were undamaged and I cleaned and re-stacked them in same order as they came out. I will pull pump back out this evening. . Is there any advice on lining up the plunger rod on the solenoids into the small levers on back side of oil pump? They are straight and unbent but they were difficult to seat correctly so that wave washer and solenoid cover went back on without forcing it down. I didn't change any adjustments on rod length as it shifted easily into neutral and reverse before the rebuuld. (except for the damaged dog and reverse gear would just let it slip and not actually engage).

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I used the same shims that came out. They were undamaged and I cleaned and re-stacked them in same order as they came out. I will pull pump back out this evening. . Is there any advice on lining up the plunger rod on the solenoids into the small levers on back side of oil pump? They are straight and unbent but they were difficult to seat correctly so that wave washer and solenoid cover went back on without forcing it down. I didn't change any adjustments on rod length as it shifted easily into neutral and reverse before the rebuuld. (except for the damaged dog and reverse gear would just let it slip and not act

If you replaced anything that changes the existing gear tolerances or put new gears in, that changes what is required for shimming.

Failure to correctly do the tolerances right will burn up several hundred dollars of gears up in smoke rather quickly.

Do you have the special tools called out in the service manual to shim correctly?

If you replaced anything that changes the existing gear tolerances or put new gears in, that changes what is required for shimming.

Failure to correctly do the tolerances right will burn up several hundred dollars of gears up in smoke rather quickly.

Do you have the special tools called out in the service manual to shim correctly?
I don't have that tool but I took driveshaft over to the lake marine shop and the old timer with the tool checked it and said it was within. 003 and there are no shims available that small. His advice was if he were rebuilding the LU he would put it back as is. With existing shims. I took it home, put the LU back together and reattached it to motor but guess i should have left well enough alone because before I did at least have forward and neutral. Now I've only got forward and checking voltage at the motor I have 12 volts going to blue and 12 going to green when buttons are pushed on the controls