just purchased new (to me) pontoon

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer
Well, I just got a 1987 24' Sea Nymph Sun Cruiser. The boat has no motor or trailer, but is at my lake house near the water. I got it for $500.00. Everything is intact, all seems good. I have an Evinrude 48 spl I am going to put on the toon. Not being new to boating but new to pontoons, any suggestions or advice on this rig? Thanks.

bruuuuce

Seaman Apprentice
Re: just purchased new (to me) pontoon

Congrats on the new boat, sounds like your comfortable with boats and being on the water. I am sure you will enjoy your new to you pontoon.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only thing I can say is, being new to "toons", get used to turning.:eek: Nothing like a boat with a hull.

Oh, and don't be in a hurry. Pontoons, in my opinion, are all about relaxing.:)

And get a grill:D. Nothing like throwing a couple racks of ribs on and cruising around till there done. Maybe bring extras, you'll make lots of new friends.:cool:

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 for Thad. Of course a 48 will not push the 24 footer very fast anyway.

I would just run it for the remainder of the summer and let the boat tell you what it needs or wants.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

congrats on the boat purchase.. i would love to see pics, and i am envious of the price! i wouldve needed a trailer though.. thad has it right too.. a grill is a absolute must.. take it easy onyour new boat

D

DJ

Nice buy.

That "48" is going to be working it heart out.

Do you, and it, a favor. Prop it right so it can "spin up" to where it wants to sing. Prop it to turn at least 5500 at Wide open.

Trust me, do it. That engine will run a LONG time.

Jeep Man

Commander

Congrats on the new ride. We got one a few seasons ago and never looked back. Is a 48 spl a long shaft? You will likely need a long version. Good luck and enjoy.

PGFISHER

Petty Officer 1st Class

We bought a used 18' toon about 2 years ago. I agree with letting the boat tell you what it needs. We had a great boat; but found lots of things to change or add as we used it, to make it more to our liking and needs. Look up some of my posts in this section to see what I mean.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

Nice buy.

That "48" is going to be working it heart out.

Do you, and it, a favor. Prop it right so it can "spin up" to where it wants to sing. Prop it to turn at least 5500 at Wide open.

Trust me, do it. That engine will run a LONG time.

Just my thought too, the motor has a 17p on it now, I am thinking 13p but after I install the motor and a tach that is to be determined, I dont want to lug the motor and am unfamiliar with the charastictis of a pontoon so it will be trial by error.

npd4432

Chief Petty Officer

The only thing I can say is, being new to "toons", get used to turning.:eek: Nothing like a boat with a hull.

Oh, and don't be in a hurry. Pontoons, in my opinion, are all about relaxing.:)

And get a grill:D. Nothing like throwing a couple racks of ribs on and cruising around till there done. Maybe bring extras, you'll make lots of new friends.:cool:

Agreed, this boat is for relaxing, playing some cards, swimming with the kids and just overall leisure. I dont think I will do the grill, my house is about 30' from the lake and the grillin there is pretty good.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just my thought too, the motor has a 17p on it now, I am thinking 13p but after I install the motor and a tach that is to be determined, I dont want to lug the motor and am unfamiliar with the charastictis of a pontoon so it will be trial by error.

:The 17 if definitely too much and I think you'll find the 13 to be too much as well. I would start with an 11 and you may have to go lower.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i run a 11 on my 20ft sweetwater, and it might be on the big side..

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Mount the motor on the pan in the full down position. You should also check to ensure the motor is a long shaft (20 inch). Short shaft motors on pontoons tend to ventilate very easy.