Just picked up new (to me) boat...good investment?

Hi all :) New to iboats.com , what a great community you all have here!

I just picked up a 2004 Triton 163 Sport with a 60HP merc, on a Triton trailer. The boat is equipped as it comes from the factory, with a Lowrance, trolling motor, etc. I bought it from a senior who purchased it new from the dealer in 2005. He only used it in his local lake, and hooked a tube to it for his grandkids when they visited over the summer. The rig has 40 running hours on it.

I got it for a great price (I believe), $3000. I priced similar boats with the same size motors, and they were going for at least double this. I have yet to take it out, but I would imagine that with the 60HP Mercury 4 stroke it will really get going! I am hoping to use this for a couple of seasons for some great river/lake fishing, and then resell it and at least recoup my $3k investment out of it. Hoping I got an ok deal here....

One thing I don't really know much about, are Triton boats in particular. They seem to be popular here in the south (Carolina's), and are said to have a good warranty and service. Anything I need to keep an eye on with this year boat/motor?

Thanks!

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Just picked up new (to me) boat...good investment?

I saw boat and investment in the same sentence and thought, ya right, boats are holes in the water you throw money into but you may be close.

Tritons are top line boats and have always been woodless so no worries about your floors or transom rotting.

I could pretty easily see you getting your money back after a couple years, exellent buy.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That seems like a really really really low price to me. Great deal!

Radiac

Cadet

We have a '04 163 Sport with the 50 2-Stroke Merc on it. Bought new in '04.

We get 35.5 MPH GPS with our big butts and all our stuff in it.

I've got family in Wilmington, might just see you on the NE Cape Fear river or Sutton Lake.

Here it is on the ride home from the dealer, no numbers on it yet.

triton.jpg

We added a compass, VHF radio, clock, cigarette lighter and chartplotter to the dash.

boatdash-1a.jpg

mthieme

Captain

I've been on here a while, not forever mind you. This is the first time I've noticed the word "investment" in relationship to a boat.
I've never purchased a boat with the intent of getting my money back out. I use them like my pickup trucks - till death do us part.
Now if you want to talk intangibles - boats are a good investment. I can't begin to expound on the many hours of enjoyment being on the water brings me and mine.

duner

Cadet

as a side note, you never see "sandrail" and investment in the same sentance either. however the term "moneypit" is used quite extensively. :D