Just out of curiosity (boat brands question)

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I know how there are many different price/quality ranges, There are some brands I am curious about though. I know that crownline/searay/regal are the upper echelon and bayliner/tahoe/maxum are the value brands. What about glastron and rinker?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Just out of curiosity (boat brands question)

Ayuh,... Over the years, Glastron has built everything from entry level boats, to Beautifully built Houseboats...
Guess it depends on which model....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Glastrons today and Rinkers are solid middle of the line boats.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My neighbor down the street has a Regal that sits outside covered with a ripped cheep blue tarp all year long. The floor is half rotten and the engine runs like crap because he never maintains it. Thus, he hardly uses it because nobody will go with him.

Another neighhbor has a Bayliner that is twice as old but he keeps it in the garage, changes the impeller and services the U-joint every few years, etc, etc. His boat never lets him down and the family goes out in it every weekend.

It's not as much as who builds it as who owns it.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

My neighbor down the street has a Regal that sits outside covered with a ripped cheep blue tarp all year long. The floor is half rotten and the engine runs like crap because he never maintains it. Thus, he hardly uses it because nobody will go with him.

Another neighhbor has a Bayliner that is twice as old but he keeps it in the garage, changes the impeller and services the U-joint every few years, etc, etc. His boat never lets him down and the family goes out in it every weekend.

I agree

cr2k

Captain

To a point. All things being equal I would take the Regal and pass on the Bayliner. But as stated. In older boats it is all about the condition which is determined by care and maint.

popo4fun

Seaman

I agree...if all are brand new then yeah a sea ray is def better than the bayliner. I have owned a sea ray and now my current boat is a Rinker. Loved them both for different reasons.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking of the a new to new comparison.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

To a point. All things being equal I would take the Regal and pass on the Bayliner. But as stated. In older boats it is all about the condition which is determined by care and maint.

Nothing is ever equal. The true definition of "quality" is "meeting all of the customer's requirements all of the time".

The Regal is heavier than the Bayliner, so it most likely gets poorer gas mileage. It costs more to buy and finance. So, if cost of ownership fits into your requirments, then its possible that the Bayliner has higher "quality".

I like to fish, so rod storage and the ability to mount a kicker is my #1 priority. I looked at both brands once and neither one had the space to store 6 fishing rods, so they both failed my "quality" requirement.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Truthfully, you are picking your poison with any of them.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Nothing is ever equal. The true definition of "quality" is "meeting all of the customer's requirements all of the time".

That's the difference between build quality and purpose. As far as purpose, EVERY boat is a compromise, the things you are talking about aren't really build quality though. Rod storage, nope, not quality, just different purposes. Rod holders that fall apart after 1 year, that would be quality (or lack of!)

Raw edges on vinyl seams, low quality carpet/vinyl, cheap gauges, thin gelcoat, screws that back out, etc... all those things are universal signs of quality that are independent of the boats purpose.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Did you ever notice that these types of threads always end up with everyone trying to justify why they bought the boat they did? While I agree that quality is a "distinguishing attribute? people seem to conveniently forget that boats also have some very undesirable, if not dangerous, ?distinguishing attributes? as well.

Things like floors and stringers that rot out because of inadequate or improper hull layup. Hulls and decks that flex because of poor designs and layup. Fuel tanks that rot out prematurely because of improper installation. Plastic thru hulls below the water line. Parts falling off because they where screwed on instead of thru bolted. Cleats pulling out because they did not have backing plates under them. The use of inferior hardware to outfit the boat. I could go on and on making a list of undesirable ?distinguishing attribute? but why bother?

The people who can appreciate superior hardware and craftsmanship in a vessel will know the difference the minute they steep onboard. Those that want to bury their heads to such "distinguishing attributes" will continue to argue that a Ford Taurus in good condtion has the same sense of ?quality? as the 20 years old Bentley because it needs new tires and a paint job.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you ever notice that these types of threads always end up with everyone trying to justify why they bought the boat they did?

I did not buy any of the mentioned boats. We bout a cheap boat to start and plan on upgrading within the next 2 seasons. I have always been a crownline fan and my dad is a sea ray man. My wife and I have been looking at used crowns around the 15-20k mark, they are all ~20ft and are 2000-2006 MY. I was at the local glaston dealer though and we can get a 2010 18ft 4.3 merc for just a bit over 20k. I have no experience with glastron or rinker. I know tahoe is a decent boat, but the lack of weight & hull depth/width make for a boucy/noisy ride in comparison to a crown (just my experience). I would personally not buy a tahoe, but I cannot afford a new crown.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well said, Dingbat, who I note drives a top brand boat. And don't forget shortcuts, like not including a bilge pump as standard!

There are also hull design differences that affect seaworthiness--not often a factor for a sofa boat that will be used as such, but crucial for a boat that will be put through its paces. And like cars, the first year of a model will have defects cured in later years' models. I have 2 "first year models" and can tell tales on this. But the better quality boat will anticipate more problems, rather than "launch it an see what happens."

Remember the ice chest on the swim platform that drains into the bilge? A quality manufacturer, staffed by boaters, would have seen that one coming.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honestly, everyone has opinions, but in small boats, Regal and Chapparall are to me the best quality, behind Cobalt which no one can afford. Regal boats seem to have the most innovative hulls as well.

The fit and finish, quality of seating, hardware, etc on these brands are noticeably better than a Bayliner or Glastron (which I own). I dont think there is a boat brand still in business in today's tough market that is complete junk....but the seating on the cheapest bayliners strikes me as really shoddy. Once you move up the Bayliner line even slightly, it is in the middle of the class in my opinion. those 9995 Bayliner 175s are really light on creature comforts.

I dont think sea ray gives you the quality for the price; but others will differ.

kellmike626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my opinion, yes. Searay, regal and all those other boats are built better than Bayliner, tahoe and maxum.

My bayliner has been going strong because I maintain it. It don't matter what boat you purchase. All brands can last a lifetime if you maintain them properly.
If you neglect any boat, it won't last. Of course though, I would still invest in a SeaRay if I had the extra cash, but Bayliner just happened to be in my budget. Haven't had any problems with it so far. :cool: