Just need to know about the OX66 shift rod

MakoNY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am doing a water pump on a 2000 OX66 and just need to know the procedure to disconnect the shift rod, if any. I see that it looks like, at least on the 4 strokes, it is just a splined shaft, but not sure if the OX66 is the same way.

Also been doing a lot of searching and reading about the SS collar, so any tips on that would be great. Do you really need to hold the driveshaft up while tapping the collar back on?

Also I have done many OMC water pumps and always use some gasket sealer on the gasket before putting the base plate down, but in all the posts I've read I don't see anybody using any kind of sealer on the gasket on a Yami. Anybody use it?

I have been searching for rodbolt's step by step procedure post for doing a water pump, but have been unable to find it with hours of searching. Wish it had been made a Sticky.

Also does anybody twist the impeller into the cup and then slide them both onto the shaft as an assembly, rather than pushing the cup down over the impeller and then spinning the driveshaft? It always seemed easier to me to just twist the impeller into the cup first and drop the whole thing onto the driveshaft.

Ok so it was a little more than just asking about the shift rod, haha.

Thanks.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Just need to know about the OX66 shift rod

OX66 is the same way, just slides off.
Replacing the collar can be a pain, but new parts makes it go on much easier.
I put on the impeller on the shaft, then put the cup over it and twist the drive shaft while pushing down on the cup. goes together in about 2 turns.
I have also been unable to find Rodbolts step by step post and use this as a option:
http://www.bogueinletnc.com/yamaha/9.html