Just need a little moral support on my decision!

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Long story short. I have been running a 14-1/2"X19 aluminum prop (Michigan) for the last several years. When the load is light I can actually go over WOT by 300 RPM'S. When the boat is loaded I top out right where I should be at about 4800. That being said, I recently installed a Michigan Apollo SS prop which has 14-1/8X19 and would like to know if this will cause me to go over WOT RPM even worse when running light. While I know that the diameter has less to do with performance than pitch, rake and, cupping, I am just wondering if I should have gone up to a 21 pitch? I made the change to stainless for the sole purpose of performance because I feel like I need a little more hole shot (for tubing) out of my 3.0 Volvo. I know that a 21 would hurt hole shot and add top speed but I am no expert! Any ideas?

alldodge

Staff member
The SS prop blades are thinner so less drag and also less flex, but also take a bit more power to turn it due to being heavier. An aluminum prop will start flattening out under load so a bit less pitch then started with, the more load the more flatting. Both flex and weight are minimal but are there.

The other issue is if you tach is accurate. My thought is you should be fine and I would not go to a 21, just watch the tach

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It's really easy to get the hole shot benefit of the lower pitch and still not over rev the engine. Just back off the throttle at top speed. You save fuel and don't over rev when you do that. It just means you pay attention to the sound of the engine, or the tach, when you are running light.
Yours is a common decision to get the boat doing the best combination of attributes for you. The compromise could be less fun with the kids tubing but more fun blasting at top speed by yourself. I made the decision to go for hole shot on my old 18' I/O and was happy I did, several year ago.

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the confidence boost gentlemen! And, I always watch my tach anyway, so I guess it is time to launch!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
If you get us your ss wot rpm and gps speed we can tell if your setup is working.
It is sometimes suggested that a ss prop will act like a al. prop one inch higher.