Just had to let her go

Link

Rear Admiral
I really hate throwing away equipment that other than being old and heavy is still good stuff.<br /><br />I just took apart my old belt driven cast iron craftsman table saw and put her in the junk yard last week. <br />Couldnt find anyone who wanted it. I bought it used 20 years ago from a elderly guy who had bought it new 40+ years before that. <br /><br />60+ years later and it was still working perfect.<br />Yea the metal is being recycled and the motor went for a good cause but still I just hated doing it.<br />Rant over.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Just had to let her go

Got one just like it. Works fine. It almost electrocuted me when I was 15, let's see that would be about 38 years ago. I don't know how old it really is but it still has the original motor.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Why'd ya do a dumb thing like that Link? One less heirloom from a bygone era. :confused:

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Why'd ya do a dumb thing like that Link? One less heirloom from a bygone era. :confused:
Now your making me feel bad Boomyal! I already miss her! :eek: <br />But alas her base and wheels have a new life as a stand for a drill press and sander at a friends shop. The motor is now switched over from 110 VAC to run on a cool 220 VAC and turning a big 3ft cage shop fan and the rest of her 300 pounds may become a future car and she can speed along the highways touring America!<br />I'm I out of the dog house yet ;) <br />Won't even mention the two other machines built between 1905 and 1910 in perfect working order that went that way also last week. One was 16ft long and 6 ft high for a total weight around a 1000 pounds and the other 5 ft wide and 6 ft tall at 600 pounds.. both again in perfect working order. Again I had a couple guys on these that wanted them for their shops, but after 7 years of waiting for them to pick them up.. saws all time and they are history. One had a close to two hundred pound 1 (one) horse motor with a lifting eye on it. Irion core motor. Still worked great. <br />Maybe it will be a fender :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hey Link, <br /><br />We live in an 'instant gratification' world. Everybody wants everything NOW. Nobody is willing to take the time to do things or learn things or repair things. Notice how the TV stations advertize that a particular series, lets say CSI, has an 'all new episode'. Whatever happened to just saying that it's a new series. Electronics manufactures are now only offering replacement for warranty 'repair', no spares parts are being sent to shops. If it breaks out of warranty, buy a new one, even if that plasma TV did cost $3,000. NO SPARES. I was trying to boycott those manufactures who didn't have a spare/repair facility, but I lost the battle, they're all doing it.<br /><br />And what did we do before instant and everywhere communication (cell phones)? Have you noticed how, particularly young people (like LF and Bassy), can't go anywhere without the cell phone attached to their ear. I went out fishing a couple of weeks ago and didn't take mine. I had 4 people screaming at me later because they couldn't contact me for a few hours. <br /><br />Sounds like your old machine will see the world again, albeit through different eyes.<br /><br />Chris..........

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey Chris<br />you me and Boomyal all live in a out dated world. <br />IE: Fix and repaiar older equipment. I don't think we are alone pard!<br />Must be a lot of of us out there.<br />Im 52 but repairing 80 year equipment. BTDT

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> I too have one of them old saws...Mine is mid 60's vintage. bought it used about 17 years ago. I did put a new fence on it though! Works like a charm<br /><br /> http://www.keltonkrew.com/woodworking.html
Yup<br />With mine the parts just wore out.. so I just made new ones. with materials I had on hand. Worked like a champ!<br /> :)