just drain everything?????

loghomer

Seaman
I guy told me when winterizing all he ever does is open all the drain cocks to empty out all of the water. He puts in NO antifreeze at all. Does this sound right?? Says he has never had any problems

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: just drain everything?????

Maybe this info will help in your decision..<br /><br />I have a mercruiser pre-alpha drive.<br /><br />I removed the cover from the TOP of the outdrive yesterday and the 2 water ports were filled to the very TOP of the housing with water.<br /><br />The drive was in the DOWN position and STILL holding water right to the brim.<br /><br />..therefore, the best way to winterize is fill your system with the specified anitfreeze, THEN REMOVE the drain fittings you find on the block and manifolds. Don't just open em up.. remove em.<br /><br />That's my 2 cents. ;)

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

filling the block & manifold with antifrreze also provides corrosion protection.

Bondo

Staff member

Well, I'm Also a Firm Believer in Drian it,+ Forget it Winterization........<br />I've been a Wrench for nearly 40yrs.... I have NEVER Seen Frost Damage in a Motor that had No Water in it..... I Have Seen Damage in a motor that was Impropperly Anti-Freezed...... <br />If You're going to use this System, a few Thoughts.....<br />ALL the water Must be Gone... I added an Extra Drain at the Oil Cooler to drain the in-coming water line...<br />The Extra Corrosion or Rust I've found in motors that have been layed-up in this manner is exactly 0.... Dry Cast Iron Rusts Very Little.....<br />All my Fluids are Changed Every 50hrs... This Includes a Fresh Oil Change at the End of the Season.....Engine Oil, Outdrive Oil, P/S Oil, Trim Oil, Etc........<br />I'll Start Stabilizing All of my Gas, From Now till the mid-December(Hopefully) Lay-up........<br />Using this System, I've got a 4.3LX with over 600hrs on it in the last 4yrs.... Compression, Oil Pressure,+ All other Vital Signs are as Good as New..... <br />So, I guess I'll continue with My P reventive M aintaince Schedule.......<br /><br />Captain HooknFinger,<br />The cavities you're looking at under the Upper Unit Top Cover, Are Supposed to be Dry....<br />They're Not tied to the Raw Water System in Any Way.... They'll Never see Anti-Freeze.....<br />You have other Issues you need to Deal With......

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

loghomer:<br />The best information available to you is what it says to do in your owners manual. Different manufacturers, different engines, each have their own little areas that need attention.<br />Any owners manual I have seen has the instructions for annual lubrication as well as winterizing. You need to do both.<br />It has worked for me for 28 years of boats.<br /><br />Charles :)

Wellcraft 89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm with Bondo !<br />I have an 89 4.3lx <br />do nothing but drain it and change oil and gear lube.<br />Not sure if bondo does this to his,he problably does.<br />I take all my hose off at the lower ends and drain them ,especially the pwr steering cooler.<br />Don't forget to take your drain valves completely out and stick a wire or nail in them to make sure there not plugged with sand and crap.<br />No problems here in N Y winters <br />Rich