just bought a Sea King tonight. Can you help with year and any info.

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems like it has evinrude influence. Sea King 5hp Model GG18736 Serial J6X808718. Love the looks of it and it seems to run pretty good. I would like to replace the impeller so I guess I will need model year and vendors for these parts. And what is the fuel ratio. Thanks to all. Mettyfish

Last edited:

keith-uk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: just bought a Sea King tonight. Can you help with year and any info.

It's a 1961, Many of the same parts of a Johnson/Evinrude 5-1/2 & 6Hp of the same era.
Fuel mix 24:1 with TCW3 rated oil.Champion J6C plugs set at .030 Points set at .020.

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Crap. I noticed a lot of oil in bottom cowling and looked closer and it looks like a screw is missing out of the bottom plate on right side of block and has been blowing oil out from there. Is that the exhaust plate. How do I get down there to put screw back in. Do I have to pull the block. Dang it. Teaches me I should not look at motors at night in the dark. Live and learn. Thanks for any advice. Metty

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Crap. I noticed a lot of oil in bottom cowling and looked closer and it looks like a screw is missing out of the bottom plate on right side of block and has been blowing oil out from there. Is that the exhaust plate. How do I get down there to put screw back in. Do I have to pull the block. Dang it. Teaches me I should look at motors at night in the dark. Live and learn. Thanks for any advice. Metty

The plate on the port side (left side, looking forward) is the exhaust cover plate. Without having the motor in front of me to look at, it seems like if the screw got out of there, there should be enough room to get it back in.

Do you intend to replace the water pump impeller? That requires powerhead removal anyway.

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes I just bought an impeller today. Tried to pull lower unit and sure enough I need to pull power head. I have never done this. Seems like way over my abilitiy but I am pretty good with these old motors. Can you give me a rough step by step. Thanks as I would love to get this old baby going. I love the looks of these old sea kings. Thanks Mettyfish

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes I just bought an impeller today. Tried to pull lower unit and sure enough I need to pull power head. I have never done this. Seems like way over my abilitiy but I am pretty good with these old motors. Can you give me a rough step by step. Thanks as I would love to get this old baby going. I love the looks of these old sea kings. Thanks Mettyfish

As they say on TV, so easy a cave man could do it. Remove the vertical throttle control rod. Disconnect the gas line from the fuel pump. Remove the 7 screw holding the powerhead to the exhaust housing. Remove the powerhead.

Once you get it off, you will see a spring loaded carbon seal on the drive shaft. That seal is vitally important and must be 100% right or eventually the motor will self destruct. Not today, not tomorrow, but some day.... What I'm saying is to always replace the 303355 cork gasket on it and the 303347 o-ring inside the carbon seal, and make sure the rest of it is ok. You will also need a new powerhead gasket.

On to the water pump job, remove the two nuts and lockwasher from the shift rod, then the lower unit will come off so you can access the pump.

Attachments

• 5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much for that info but I am still scared. HEHE Just replace the two parts that you gave me the part numbers for? Or all of that stuff in diagram. Do I need to remove carb also before removing powerhead. And then do you just set powerhead back onto this spring loaded driveshaft seal thingy? Oh and where do we get these parts and the powerhead gasket? Might you have part number for that powerhead gasket? Thanks, Metty