Just bought a '59 Funliner!!!

joe1267

Seaman
I am very new to boating and only purchased my first boat two weeks ago and was not looking for a second one until I saw this sweety. I am drawn to old boats,cars,motorcycles and my first boat is a 1968 Mohawk 15ft Runabout. It is a super clean boat with a strong running Merc 650 that I picked up for a song.

I saw the ad for this boat and immediately called the owner. This boat has had one owner since 1975 and only one prior to that. The hardtop is in great shape and the windows are still there as well. The engine is a clean looking good running '62 Evinrude Starfire 75 that had $350 worth of work in '08. The boat is very clean and the seats still look good. The 1958 Dilly trailer has seen new paint,new winch,lights,wheels,tires in the last year. There is a ton of paperwork,service bills,owners manuals etc. The owner is an awesome guy who still has the first boat he ever bought, a 1954 Alumicraft 14ft runabout.

I looked the boat over for about an hour before striking a deal with him. I bought the boat/motor/trailer for $400. I can't wait to get it home. Here are a few pics. They are not the best. I will have more once I get her home. I am sure I will be picking your brains as things come up...

Joe

Aristo-Craft1.jpg

Aristo-Craft2.jpg

Aristo-Craft3.jpg

Aristo-Craft4.jpg

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Just bought a '59 Funliner!!!

way to go joe !!!

man, that looks like a mighty sweet funliner for a way sweet price. bet yer gonna have fun with that....

if i was looking to get a different boat, one with an o/b. a funliner would be high on my list of boats i'd wanna go find... but then again, i am hooked on aristocrafts so i suppose i could be prejudice... :cool:

got more pics. anything closer?

great looking boat...

joe1267

Seaman

Ziggy, thanks for the kudos. You have an awesome looking boat. I will take more pics once I get her home. Unfortunately that will not be for a couple of weeks. His schedule and mine are not matching up until then. I fully intend to put her in the lake before I put her to sleep for the winter.

On the up side, we are moving into our little weekend lake house this Saturday and if it does not rain, I will be putting my '68 Mohawk Runabout in Lake Onderdonk for the first time. I have had her out on the Hudson river a couple of times.

I am pumped to be an Aristocraft owner. The styling of their boats are gorgeous. I will keep you posted...Joe

ziggy

Admiral

man joe. i just caught on (sometimes i'm slow i guess) you got that hip '68 Mohawk Runabout. that's a real sweety too. your finding some real nice boats. very nice.
The styling of their boats are gorgeous.
ain't they though. and them hardtops are to much too.... your hip that they are mostly all glass boats too i assume.. like in minor to no rot.. :D
I will keep you posted
please do.... i'm starting to get me a few stories about my adventures on my nineteen now. this is my 3rd season i think.

joe1267

Seaman

Ziggy, my Mohawk is in unbelievable original condition. There is a lot to be said about indoor storage and caring owners. The cool thing is that it was built about 45 minutes from where I live in Amsterdam NY. Can't find much info on Mohawk, but it is a high quality boat. Arkansas Traveler had a plant in Amsterdam in the 60's as well.

There are a ton of cool old boats around for low dough, including this currently in need of a home, 73 Aristocraft 19'.
http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/1374873108.html

One of the reasons I did not hesitate to look at/buy the '59 is that there is no wood under the deck. I am handy with fixing things, but putting in a new floor and stringers is not something I was looking to do.

Can't wait to get her home so I can get to work with the buffing wheel and some cleaning wax......