just bid on ebay

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just put a big money bid on an outboard on ebay. I've purchased stuff for a $100 or a little more from the auctions but never a big item like an outboard.<br /><br />I'd looked at prices for new and got a severe case of sticker shock. OMG!!!<br />I know the value in used boats is in the engines, but holy cow! those motors are spendy.<br /><br />I hope this comes through - as described. I'll definitely come cry or brag however it ends up.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: just bid on ebay

Who is the ebay seller of the outboard?<br /><br />I know a couple of motor sellers, and may be able to vouch for their reputation.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I bought a couple of motors on eBay, but I kept it to mid sixties Johnsons, two cylinder, a 66 40 horse and a 67 33 .... the 66 was cheap, needed a foot, got a cheap donor motor on eBay as well ... the 33 needs fuel pump, the intake is busted off and the hose is a bit stiff<br /><br />almost have the motor stand finished, just have to get my butt to wal mart and get a tank<br /><br />good luck!

D

DJ

dk,<br /><br />Did you check out the used outboards for sale here on iboats.<br /><br />No risk, satisfaction guarenteed.

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know if I found exactly w hat you're refering to. I will look again. I saw some factory programs but the motors were all so high priced I felt like I was buying new.<br /><br />The ebay auction for a 135 hp E'rude was nabbed by someone beating my high bid just a minute before the auction closed. I'd called a freind to check it 30 minutes before it closed and the bid was unchanged. I was at work, so I couldn't have done much about it, anyway.<br /><br />Right now, my best bet is a local deal... a 115 hp Merc and controls, rebuilt with a 6 month warranty, installed for $3K. I don't recall the year of the motor- early '80s I think. No power trim, I know that.<br /><br />I'll go browse the Iboat links again, but I may have to go with the local deal.<br />UPDATE: did I miss something? I found the "used" section, most posted by one outfit in Utah and there prices are on a par with the banner ad I also looked at.<br /><br />I will grumble at myself for paying about a thousand more for my boat than I should have... I was frustrated at not finding what I wanted, so once I did find a keeper, the too-small motor was given a little too much value.<br />Now, I am gonna have about $7k invested when I started out hoping for 4-5.<br />Those full retail rebuilds are just too rich for my blood.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The best way to use Ebay is to just decide how much you are willing to spend and let the system do the rest. Sometimes you score, sometimes you have to pay that max amount, but it eliminates the "Bidding frenzy" where you end up paying more than you should have because SmileyPants69 outbid you by a penny and you just can't have that. The bidding at the last minute bit is called Snipping, ad it is unethical, but the system allows it because it doesn't break the Ebay rules. I personally do not snipe, because I am lazy. I just put in my max amount I will spend, and check when it is done. If I don't win I could care less, there will always be another of the same thing in five minutes anyway. I mostly use the "buy it now" if the price is good, that way I don't spend any more time than I need to messing with that whole business...

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bid $900 max. It went for $750. Maybe I should have bid more, but while I am an experienced ebay participant, I've never purchased any big ticket items.<br /><br />And while the description and pics played up the Evinrude, the seller didn't even know what year it was. I was nervous bidding as much as I did.<br /><br />There are other big motors on there, but the prices are all ready high. And in the meantime, the season is passing, and I don't wanna waste my effort getting sniped on auctions while I'm at work.<br /><br />The local deal of $3K I will have to afford and like it. Frankly, it stings bad enough and I feel better getting a warranty that is with a local vendor that is trusted and I can speak with personally.<br />- Not some vague 'customer service rep several hours away.

SeaHorse

Petty Officer 1st Class

"I bid $900 max. It went for $750. "<br /><br />If you bid higher ($900), how did somebody "snipe" you at the last minute for a measly $750 ?<br /><br />I have watched a lot of outboard auctions on Ebay. Good, small motors will go up about 50 percent near the close of the auction. If you are sitting at $ 300, with 24 hrs to go, chances are the motor will go for close to $450, maybe slightly more. Larger motors are different, they will get up to about 85 percent or more of their final bid about one or two days before the end. Watch out for fuzzy pictures, vague descriptions, and sellers who are ignorant or "selling for somebody". I bought an outboard that was advertised as "kept dry". When I opened the box I could see in two seconds it was a completely corroded, salt eaten piece of junk. I put it in the trash. Ebay will not help you when you get shafted in this way. If you receive something that resembles an outboard, they figure "thats close enough."

Kilgore Trout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought my (sail) boat on ebay. Got a great deal. <br /><br />The seller was operating as a charity, on of those "Donate your boat to charity' deals<br />In reality he was an unlicensed boat broker. <br /><br />The seller then sold me a 9.9hp merc for $400 (not through ebay) with a guarantee. You don't really expect much from a $400 engine, I trusted him, because he sold me a good, solid boat.<br /><br />I went to the boat an the engine was a piece of crap. It ran, but only in reverse. It was also very corroded . <br /><br />I called him on the guarantee. He promised to replace it. It took almost a month and a half for him to honor his gaurantee, and only when I threatened him with a lawsuit, and a newspaper investigation (I work for a PR/Advertising Agency with lots of connections to the big Daily PApers in the LA area) of his charity did I get a brand new 4hp kicker that is worth more than the $400 I initially paid.