June 3, 1944

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I was 8 years old.<br /><br />My home, Southern Pines, NC was close to Ft. Bragg and to Camp Mackall. Most of our neighbors were military families. . .82nd and 101st Airborne. The men had been gone for about a year.<br /><br />It was common to chide someone who was being slow at something by saying, "What are you waiting for, D Day?".<br /><br />We all thought somethng was about to happen. The volume of mail from England shot up. When the women gathered to knit and sew for the soldiers they plied one another for any news of what was up. The consensus was that D Day was close. Warm, hand knit socks and mittens went out in every mail, even in summer.<br /><br />We ate chickens we had raised and vegetables we had grown. It was unpatriotic to buy or eat food that our boys overseas needed. <br /><br />It was unpatriotic to burn gas or use up rubber tires that were needed for the war effort, so my Mom rode my sister's bike to her job at the nearby Golfing Resort Hotel that had been turned into an Air Corps school.<br /><br />When she wasn't at work, Mom operated a booth in town selling War Savings Stamps that could be turned in for War Bonds, and War Bonds. My siblings and I took turns helping her.<br /><br />We also did a scrap collection drive every month, collecting metals and rubber that could be recycled into war materials.<br /><br />In the evenings, Mom and the neighborhood women operated a Canteen for the servicemen from the school. Coffee, donuts and dancing in our living room.<br /><br />That is what I remember a country at war was like. Everone did something or many things to help win.<br /><br />Are we, the USA, at war or is it only our young men and women that are at war?

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: June 3, 1944

this is great, i was just thinking about opening a new topic for a link. it was just an FYI for everyone concerned. i just made an online donation a few mins ago, and printed out some forms to keep at home...<br /><br />THE UNITED SERVICE ORGANIZATIONS<br /><br />About the USO <br /><br />For more than 60 years, the USO (United Service Organizations) has brought a touch of home to America's military personnel. The USO is a congressionally chartered, nonprofit organization and is not a government agency<br /><br />Through "Operation Care Package," individuals can sponsor a package for a donation of $25. Corporations may contribute to this program's success through financial contributions, items donated in bulk for the care packages, or through implementation of an employee participation program. <br /><br />The care packages contain an assortment of items that our military have specifically requested, such as prepaid international calling cards, disposable cameras, toiletries, and sunscreen. They also include greetings from the American public, transcribed onto official "Operation USO Care Package" post cards by the USO<br /><br /> http://www.usocares.org/donate.htm

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I visit the Kintera website once a month and have since this war started.<br />Don't know who see's it, but I always include a message from my family to whoever see's it.<br /><br />Gots to do something and it does make ya feel good.

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Yep! that was we the people in action,back then they all sacrificed some, this was a country where one could find the act of kindness in their comunities 24/7, today in America it's all lip service,some may even say no one's got the time,let the military make the sacrifice they are the professionals it's their job. <br />This is why i'm all for returning to the draft,the majority of folks these days are only intrested in what's in it for me,and not what i can do for others and that just chaps my hide.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I agree that there is too little being asked of the American public at large. We are not hurting for raw materials as we were in WWII but this is an expensive war. <br /><br />How do you think the idea of war bonds would go over? Or a checkoff on your tax forms where you could donate directly to the effort?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dudes<br /> I am glad I am not the only one that donates to the USO regularly. even before the 9/11 thing. one other thing that chapping my balls.<br /> I watched Dateline the other night about a soldier who lost both arms.<br /> I cant believe how the govt is pooping on him already,(wait, maybe I can) seems bubba dubya has rather gutted our VA system. as he files taxes on over 800 thousand a year maybe he could donate say 50 -60 k to help the poor guys kids with a scholarship foundation. its terrible the way the disabled vets get treated, absolutly desbicable.<br /> I had to go to NAS Oceana the other day with a young sailors mother cause he is shipping out to the persian gulf area. I slipped him an extra 100 and told him to have fun when he could.<br /> makes me proud that the kid has the balls it takes to do what is asked even if he does not agree.<br /> Yall have a nyce day now ya heah

crab bait

Captain

good topic, JB.. i was thinkin' the same thing awhile ago.. the war is bein' fought by the military over there an not by not much anybody else for the most part..<br /><br />if'n it wasn't for the news an stories about another 4 to 7 a day dead ,,you'd be mostly oblivious to it.. <br /><br />i think most people would do more if it was in your face more..somewhat how you talked about.. <br /><br />like walkin' down the street an someone sellin' war bonds or such or donations or donate my services.. sure, i'd buy/do ,,,heartbeat.. but if ya gotta search/seek it out,,, AH, FAGETTABOUTIT..