JUDGES

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
Should the Republicans be able to get their Judge nomiees voted on?<br /><br />As usual, I have a strong opinion in favor of the republicans.

Twidget

Commander
Re: JUDGES

I think the judges need to be voted on. If they aren't qualified, they should be voted down, but they definitely need their 'day in court'

Bondo

Staff member

Not Voting, is Not Doing Their Jobs..........

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Twidget, but unfortunately the track record of the Republicans is Bush(the party) wants, so they will go along and vote for the candidates. The whole vote process is only for show. In this instance the only thign that could keep the bad judges off the bench would be the Democratic Senators and Representatives. If the power balance were reversed the situation would probably be the same.<br /><br />And Bondo, you are right too. However, if the Dems allow a vote, the candidates will probably be fasttracked into position, with no consideration as to their merit to the position. So the Dems may actually be doing their jobs, the only way they can at this point.<br /><br />Regardless of what side you are on, this is truly a sad situation.

rogerwa

Commander

Thats BS. The majority rules. The issue is not qualifications as these judges are well qualified. How many years does it take to look at the merits of the appointee. Two years..three?? This is about obstruction and spitting in the face of the voters. The dems have nothing and so they resort to this.<br /><br />The comment that Bush needs to appoint more mainstream judges is really saying more liberal. And that is precisely what this is about. Fear oflosing power to push the liberal agenda.<br /><br />Other than a misuse of the fillibuster, Bush would be excercising the mandate given him by the voters.<br /><br />Give me a break. They need to do their job and vote.

PW2

Commander

Bush should appoint more mainstream judges. He has got most of the ones he selected anyway.<br /><br />The repubs, under Clinton, because they controlled the agenda, refused to even bring some of the nominees that they did not like up in committee, so they had no chance of getting a vote.<br /><br />I fail to see how this action by the dems is any different.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

it should stand at the 2/3rds majority. seems the rules of the fillibuster have changed. when sen Thurmond used it the story goes he had to pee in a cup cause the rules said if the person left the floor for any reason it was over. seems he stood for just over 24 hours. I think we need the fillibuster as designed not as modified. if the person doing the fillibuster leaves the floor for ANY reason or accepts any outside phoone calls for ANY reason its over, done deal. all should be careful what they wish for as they may get it. seems the power balance always shifts back and forth. whats advantagous today maay not be next year. seems its worked for a few years and its not time to alter it for a year

PW2

Commander

The courts are supposed to be an indepedent check on the power of the majority, and not a rubber stamp on that power.<br /><br />The founders were specifically concerned that any one branch of government would get too much power, and did everything they could to limit the power of any one branch of the government. It is not a perfect system, to be sure, but it has served us well for over 200 years, and should not be changed for simple political gain.<br /><br />We are simply more likely to achieve that end which the founders wanted if the appointees are at least somewhat palatable to the minority, whoever that is at the time.

SoulWinner

Commander

Hey Ralph, you're right. That video says it all. Right now I am plenty steamed at the Repubs in the senate for not using the constitutional option (nuclear option) to get things moving. What is wrong with these guttless sissy's? For the first time in 50 years they control both houses of congress and the White House, yet they are afraid to cross drunken gass bags like Kennedy? WTH??

Ralph 123

Captain

It's about to happen SW. They are about to bring 4 up and if/when they are filibustered, the vote will be taken on the rule change. Frisk has 52 votes as of last night's count.

NYMINUTE

Captain

The things our government continues to waste time and money on. HEY YOU POLITICANS: FIX THE DAM* SS.

eeboater

Commander

Nancy Pelosi:<br /><br />"Why should we put a plan out?"<br /><br />Hmm... good question Nancy. How about doing your job for once?<br /><br />"Our plan is to stop him...He must be stopped!"<br /><br />Well, at least you have some type of goal.....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep <br /> but seems to me a republican set the record for fillibuster in 57 AGINST civil rights for blacks, seems the democrats have used it a time or two. problem is in 4 years if the dems have the power will the repubs whine and in ten years if it switches back will the dems whine. seems to much time is wasted whining and not enough doing what they are paid to do. seems the original fillibuster rules worked well cause if you left the floor for ANY reason it was over, period. end of fillibuster. that is how it should be. then there is no weeks and months of foot dragging while on the dole. you say your piece and either pass out due to lack of oxygen from speaking 24 hours and 18 min or ya quit and a vote is taken. fairly simple.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by PW2:<br /> The courts are supposed to be an indepedent check on the power of the majority, and not a rubber stamp on that power.<br /><br />The founders were specifically concerned that any one branch of government would get too much power, and did everything they could to limit the power of any one branch of the government. It is not a perfect system, to be sure, but it has served us well for over 200 years, and should not be changed for simple political gain.<br /><br />We are simply more likely to achieve that end which the founders wanted if the appointees are at least somewhat palatable to the minority, whoever that is at the time.
What an absolute self serving batch of crock PW. Your definition of judicial independence assumes a liberal bias and if it doesn't exhibit that then they are too radical. <br /><br />You and other progressives continually try to paint the liberal agenda as the center. Judges are there for the purpose of ruling on the Constitutionality of law, not to manufacture it and that does not make for liberal rulings.<br /><br />And where do you come up with this lame notion that the minorities need to be catered to when it comes to determining the constitutionality of the law? Is there one law for minorities and another for the majority? Ooops, I guess I already know the answer to that...............at least from your perspective.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by David L. Moore:<br />
Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> For the first time in 50 years they control both houses of congress and the White House, yet they are afraid to cross drunken gass bags like Kennedy? WTH??
And that is exactly why this country is in deep trouble.
Truer words were never spoken David L. When a part of the country does not even have the discernment to keep from re-electing a 'drunken, philandering, manslaughtering gas bag', there is not much hope for them.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> For the first time in 50 years they control both houses of congress and the White House, yet they are afraid to cross drunken gass bags like Kennedy? WTH??
And that is exactly why this country is in deep trouble. Same would be true if the Dems wer ein such control. And this is EXACTLY why there is supposed to be seperation of powers. That is why we have three branches of government. But the current party in power is no doubt making an attempt at assuring complete power. Enduring power. And all you whining Republicans are too blind by your heads shoved up the Republican party's collective *** to take the time to be honest and admit with integrity the hidden agenda behind the whining.<br />There I didn't candy-coat it. Suck it up and work for the collective good of the country, not just the good of the "majority." Remember the "Moral Majority" which actually turned out to be a minority? And the founding fathers strived to make sure that little states like Rhode Island and Connecticut had an equal voice like the bigger states. Realizing that just because the state is smaller and has fewer people, it's rights and issues are no less important thatn those of a bigger state with greater population. But then again you don't want to acknowledge that either.

PW2

Commander

"Lame" notion???<br /><br />That's funny! The Bill of Rights and the constitution were specifically concieved and written with the notion of protecting the rights of the minority. By definition, the majority simply does not need such protection.<br /><br />Frankly I think from a purely partisan political standpoint, it would be wise for the dems to just sit back and allow these right wing wackos to have their way. Then the American people can really see what these people are really about. Criminy, I read the other day there is a movement afoot in the Texas legislature is trying to control high school cheerleaders and their routines!!<br />Does it get any better than that?<br /><br />I think the voters don't quite understand what's at stake sometimes, and that most people are in the minority on one issue or another, and those positions would be threatened.. if these people have their way.<br /><br />But I am an American first, and the independent judiciary is important to the overall quality of life in this country, and I could not support that position, even if it were politically expedient.