Jon boat weight distribution

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have to much weight in the rear of my boat; battery, gas tank, and myself. if im ridding by myself the boats bow stands up to high until it planes out. im not a big fan of this while riding in the river and stump infested waters. so im planning on moving the gas tank into my dry box.

my question is... if i move it would i need to put the bubble on the gas line closer to the tank end or the motor end?

open to any other weight distribution solutions also....

this is the best pic of wht i have at this time. if needed i can take more

motor cover2.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Jon boat weight distribution

It doesn't matter where the bulb is, so put it where it's convenient when you are starting.

Consider this: the battery weight doesn't change; the tank weight does. Maybe you want to move the battery forward?
Especially if you use it for trollnig/electronics and not starting. Can't tell what you have on there.

That's one reason I prefer a pull start on a small boat.

Also have you tried adjusting your motor? If it's set too far from the transom it will do that.

But also, movnig around is part of running small boats.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Good advise up above.
I like the primer ball close to me when I'm running...never no when you have to squeeze it to keep the motor running.(fuel pump,air leaks...)

robert graham

Admiral

I have the same problem with my 17' aluminum canoe and 3HP motor...if it's just me in the canoe with no passengers the bow will stick up too much...so I've always just used a couple of 25lb. sand bags in the front to balance it out...works fine!;)

robert graham

Admiral

And the great thing about the sand bags is they don't cost anything, don't complain and don't drink up all my beer!:D

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

when I run a canoe solo, I turn it around and sit on the bow seat. Won't work, I know, for a square stern. But you can move forwrd and use a tiller extender

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

If you put the bulb near the tank it will make it easier to get gas to the engine. Those bulbs pump gas way better than they do air. But as above there are also good reasons to keep it near you. I put my kicker tank up front for reasons of weight and space (added 20' feet of fuel line). Pumped the bulb forever and could not get gas. Moved the bulb to the tank and had gas in just a few pumps. Of course now that the line is full don't need it there anymore.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It doesn't matter where the bulb is, so put it where it's convenient when you are starting.

Consider this: the battery weight doesn't change; the tank weight does. Maybe you want to move the battery forward?
Especially if you use it for trollnig/electronics and not starting. Can't tell what you have on there.

That's one reason I prefer a pull start on a small boat.

Also have you tried adjusting your motor? If it's set too far from the transom it will do that.

But also, movnig around is part of running small boats.

this is true the battery def out weighs the tank at times, and the motor is pull start only so this would make more since and take up less room in my box

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if it's a pull start motor, throw the battery overboard.

Consider a smaller battery for your electronics if that's why you have it.

fishrdan

Admiral

I would move the battery and the fuel tank forward. You can't put the fuel tank in a compartment unless you have the compartment well vented though.

I have 2 batteries and my fuel tank inside the mid-ship seat bulkhead (I have that compartment vented) and this helped a lot with weight distribution.

Have you tried a hydro-foil on the outboard? I have a Stingray Jr. on my 14' jon boat and it improves the ride, bow attitude and planing time greatly.

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if it's a pull start motor, throw the battery overboard.

Consider a smaller battery for your electronics if that's why you have it.

thats a negative. i run to much stuff off of that battery to use it as an anchor lol

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would move the battery and the fuel tank forward. You can't put the fuel tank in a compartment unless you have the compartment well vented though.

I have 2 batteries and my fuel tank inside the mid-ship seat bulkhead (I have that compartment vented) and this helped a lot with weight distribution.

Have you tried a hydro-foil on the outboard? I have a Stingray Jr. on my 14' jon boat and it improves the ride, bow attitude and planing time greatly.

dont think ill have room for it all due too tools and life vests.

never thought about using a whale-tail on my motor. i guess i figured it wouldnt make that big of a difference on a 15hp

slyrzmb

Cadet

dont think ill have room for it all do to tools and life vests.

never thought about using a whale-tail on my motor. i guess i figured it wouldnt make that big of a difference on a 15hp

I read quite a bit on these forums, and there certainly is a lot of discussions about fins. I just recently bought my first boat, and it came with fins. I took it out twice, then was curious how it ran without the fins, so I took them off. The fins are in the trash now. Steering was more responsive and I gained about 2mph on the top end. I know some people swear by them, but for my particular setup, they were useless.

cr2k

Captain

IMHO it doesn't matter where you put anything in John Boat you're gonna tip over anyway!

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

longer wires, longer fuel lines.

fishrdan

Admiral

I bought my 7.5HP Force with the hydrofoil on it and ran it like that until I heard here on iBoats that they are bad news...... I removed it one day and the boat performed terribly without it (bow high taking off, longer plane times, on plane attitude too bow high), so I bolted it back on when I got home and it's staying.

IMHO it doesn't matter where you put anything in John Boat you're gonna tip over anyway!

LOL ^^^ :D

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you think about changing the trim angle of the motor? Move the bar closer to the transom ... ;)

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you think about changing the trim angle of the motor? Move the bar closer to the transom ... ;)

ive ajusted the trim pin to the spot that gives me the most speed with this set up. so i feel sure that after i move the battery i'll have to change it and check to see which setting is faster again.....