Johnson200 won't quit running

JFK

Recruit
Good morning. Complete non-mechanic here. I have a 1989 22' Chris Craft WAC with a Johnson 200 outboard. Not long ago I had a mechanic do some lower unit repairs on the engine; he also went over the engine to correct anything obvious that needed repair. Now I can't find the guy and have a problem, because since he worked on it the engine does not shut down when I turn off the key, not even if I remove the key and pull the kill switch. Engine just keeps idling. Any ideas?

Thanks,

john

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson200 won't quit running

The main wiring harness has a black and yellow kill wire that runs to the powerpack from the ignition switch.

When the key is turned to "Off", or when the emergency kill lanyard is pulled, the black ground wire that runs from the engine block to the ignition switch is connected to the black and yellow kill wire which grounds the powerpack and stops the engine instantly.

Any defect in the circuit will prevent the gounding from taking place.

Look for the black and yellow wire at the powerpack to be sure that it is connected. Check the large red plug at the engine to be sure that the connections are clean and tight.

Look at the following thread, near the end is a wiring diagram and also diagrams of the ignition switch that show how the ignition switch connects in various positions.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/ignitionSwitch.html

It is good shop practice to disconnect the battery whenever working around the ignition switch. Any voltage reaching the black and yellow wire can instantly destroy the powerpack. When checking the kill circuit, an ohmmeter is the best tool.