Johnson V4 110hp Hard to Plane Off?

phishinout

Cadet
I have a 1986 110hp that has started to become very hard to plane off. I drop it all the way down full throttle and it finally planes after 30 seconds or so. It has been working properly all summer. any help would be great!

Also even after the motor is warm, it has recently started to only start in FULL CHOKE vs just turning right over. It is tricky to crank now??

I really appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance!!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson V4 110hp Hard to Plane Off?

If you need the choke then you may well have a fuel issue. When did you last service the fuel system ???

phishinout

Cadet

I recently bought the motor and it worked great for 2 months after I replaced the primer bulb and someone replaced something cheap related to getting fuel to the motor. Cant recall the name of it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I recently bought the motor and it worked great for 2 months after I replaced the primer bulb and someone replaced something cheap related to getting fuel to the motor. Cant recall the name of it.

Fuel pump ???
Is the primer bulb the correct way around ???
Arrow in the direction of the motor ???

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I have the same motor & love it!
Sounds like a dirty carb - filter - something fuel related, should be a realitively easy fix, just have to narrow it down :cool:

phishinout

Cadet

Primer bulb is good....not sure i will have to check out the fuel pump. Trying to work on it Wed.

Would this cause the planning off problem as well??? Not enough fuel to the motor?? Thanks

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Primer bulb is good....not sure i will have to check out the fuel pump. Trying to work on it Wed.

Would this cause the planning off problem as well??? Not enough fuel to the motor?? Thanks

Yes it would cause the planing problem (lack of that is) just simply not enough gas to give enough power to "push" to plane out :(

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Same as you would be without enough food. Slow and sluggish.

phishinout

Cadet

10 4 guys I will take a look tommorrow afternoon.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

10 4 guys I will take a look tommorrow afternoon.

Do that - you have a good motor :cool:
When i first tryed mine out it would'nt plane either & i thought "Dang, anouther bunch of carbs to rebuild :mad:"
Got home & the next day i pulled the cowling off to look around & plan the carb overhaul & noticed one of the coil wires had come loose :confused:
So i waited till next trip to lake just to be sure & with that itty bitty wire plugged in it ran like the well known spotted ***** ape :p

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Pump the primer bulb up firm and look for any leaks in the fuel lines and around the fuel pump.

phishinout

Cadet

hopefully I can take a look....thanks for the assistance I am a bit of an amateur.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

hopefully I can take a look....thanks for the assistance I am a bit of an amateur.

With all the help here these guys will get you fixed up.:)
If still having problems come Spring i might trade you a day fishing for fixing it..;)

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like you dropped a cylinder,as said check the plug wires,on the v4 engines ,often when the cowling is put on the catch grabs a plug wire,be sure to check all grounds to coils and be sure all connections are clean,you should get a spark tester to check all cylinders 4 spark,do you have a tachometer on the dash,if so,did you notice a change,what is rpm