Johnson Upper Rubber Mounts

captbecker

Recruit
Hello- I need some help--<br />I am hoping someone might give me some guidance.<br /><br />I have a 1989 Johnson 28HP SPL Outboard. <br />There are two upper rubber mounts (one on each side) just under and behind the housing that contains the steering<br />housing. These contain 3 bolts (two bolt into the vertical main housing and one that bolts to the steering housing) and two bonded rubber disks about 1 inch or so in diameter.<br />I assume they absorb shock or actually support the engine (?) in an isolated manner. One of these is broken-- the rubber<br />disks are gone. <br />I bought new ones from OMC (PN 325974 - Rubber Mount),<br />but find there is no way the new one is going to fit in easily since the rubber "uncompressed" size is about 1/4 inch too big for the space.<br /><br />Question? Is there an easy way to take the load off of these <br />rubber mounts so they are expanded to the uncompressed size----- so that I could slip the new ones in (they have slotted mounting holes?? OR does it require some rather extensive dis-assembly? (My Clymer Repair manual does not even mention these rubber mounts or their replacement).<br /><br />Thanks much--<br />Best regards-