Johnson tn26 Recoil

eska7.5

Recruit
I picked up a Johnson Model TN 26 # 8166956 I believe it is 1950. The recoil was off and the spring was out of the housing. I rewound it and put the housing back on but when I put the rope it does not catch the ratchet system on tho of the flywheel and does not turn the motor. What did do wrong? With the starter housing laying upside down I put the spring in and turned the pully counterclockwise to tighten the spring. Should I remove the spring reverse it and install it so I have to turn the pully clockwise to tighten the spring? I looked on the internet to see a diagram of how to do this but no luck I did see pictures of some pulleys having notches to attach a start rope my pully does not have them but they are on the flywheel

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
May need more coffee, but believe you need to do as you suggest and assemble so the spring is tightened when the pully turns clockwise to start the engine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You wrote: " With the starter housing laying upside down I put the spring in and turned the pully counterclockwise to tighten the spring." That is correct.

But I know what you did wrong---the same thing everybody does the first time. The equalizer spring must be pre-assembled onto the shoulder on the spindle before inserting the spindle into the pulley. If it jumps off, start over

Simplex Starter Equilizer Spring.jpg

eska7.5

Recruit
You wrote: " With the starter housing laying upside down I put the spring in and turned the pully counterclockwise to tighten the spring." That is correct.

But I know what you did wrong---the same thing everybody does the first time. The equalizer spring must be pre-assembled onto the shoulder on the spindle before inserting the spindle into the pulley. If it jumps off, start over

View attachment 354644

View attachment 354644
Thank you but this is not my recoil pictures of mine model tn 26

Attachments

• tn 26 recoil pulley 2.jpg
    tn 26 recoil pulley 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • tn 26 recoil housing.jpg
    tn 26 recoil housing.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • tn 26 start ratchet .jpg
    tn 26 start ratchet .jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • tn 26 recoil pulley  1.jpg
    tn 26 recoil pulley 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • tn 26 recoil spring .jpg
    tn 26 recoil spring .jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those 3 wee springs on the dogs should not hold the dogs in the retracted position.-----They retract when flywheel spins on start up.-----Replace , repair and install those 3 springs correctly !!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sorry about the wrong starter. But yep, the three small pawl springs in your picture are upside downStarter Pawls2.jpg

eska7.5

Recruit
Sorry about the wrong starter. But yep, the three small pawl springs in your picture are upside downView attachment 354670
Thank you all very much for this information without it I would never have figured it out. The housing was off the motor the pawl springs were installed backward and the recoil spring was out when I got the motor. So To make sure before I put it back together when I pull the recoil it should turn the flywheel clockwise? and when it motor starts it also will turn clockwise? Also in the picture, the way I installed the spring in the housing When I place the pulley in the housing with spring it should be turned counterclockwise to tighten the spring Is this correct?

Attachments

• tn 26  start ratchet 2.jpg
    tn 26 start ratchet 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • tn26 spring rotation.jpg
    tn26 spring rotation.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Think about it.----When recoil housing is upside down on your work bench the rotation is opposite.-----Yes , looking down on the flywheel the motor turns CLOCKWISE !

eska7.5

Recruit
Think about it.----When recoil housing is upside down on your work bench the rotation is opposite.-----Yes , looking down on the flywheel the motor turns CLOCKWISE !
Thank you will put it back together now I can check out compression and spark

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Thank you all very much for this information without it I would never have figured it out. The housing was off the motor the pawl springs were installed backward and the recoil spring was out when I got the motor. So To make sure before I put it back together when I pull the recoil it should turn the flywheel clockwise? and when it motor starts it also will turn clockwise? Also in the picture, the way I installed the spring in the housing When I place the pulley in the housing with spring it should be turned counterclockwise to tighten the spring Is this correct?

Correct on all counts

eska7.5

Recruit
Thank you will put it back together now I can check out compression and spark
Got it all back together both cylinders have 65 psi but it has no spark don't know if I want to go any further maybe just sell it as is But again Thank all of you that helped with the recoil problem

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Getting spark might be as simple as cleaning the breaker points.-----Hard to see the condition of them here.-----Or it might involve replacing cracked coils. ----Can not see them either.