JOHNSON SUPER SEAHORSE 1965 40HP WIRING UP BATTERY

steveo555

Cadet
Hello Chaps,<br /><br />I am a complete novice who bought the above engine on ebay. I am trying to get her fired up to see if she runs. Very nice bloke explained it starts but chokes and dies so thinks th carb needs a good clean. Before I can check all this I need to know how to wire it up. I even have the manual but I'm just too stupid to get it. I wired a new 12v battery as follows. RED (+) to the big red (+) on the solodiod(new), and black (-) to the case of the starter motor (which is connected to the chasis) for earth. The starter shoots up and tries to turn the big toothy cog thing(see told yo I was stupid). It goes very slowly and doesnt start the engine. When I pull the power it stays where it is. The wires get very hot and the nutral bit starts to smoke and the starter does too. Help me please!! I also have two thin wires (black and brown) to the left of the outboard which are connected to nothing. How do I wire this bugger up! ps. I have primed the fule line with bulb etc and choke is on.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: JOHNSON SUPER SEAHORSE 1965 40HP WIRING UP BATTERY

Welcome to Iboats, JohnsonNewbie555!<br /><br />Could you elaborate on the 'neutral bit' which starts to smoke some more?<br /><br />Also, could you explain the wiring on the solenoid a little bit. You have a big red wire going to one big post on the solenoid, and another big wire from the other big post to the starter. What's going on with the little posts on the solenoid? When you connect the battery, is that when the starter jumps up or are you hitting a switch somewhere for that?<br /><br />Thanks, I think we can get this worked out for you!

jfm1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Newbie this sounds like you need tc clean all connections and retighten a bad connection will cause a wire to burn and the starter to cook jt also sounds like the carbs do need rebuilt / compression test / let us know what you find

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

In laymans terms, when energized, the starter draws a gosh awful amount of current from the battery and that's why battery cables are so large. Smaller wires would simply melt. Since the ignition switch is a little bitty bugger, it too would immediately fry if all that current passed through the switch. So here is where the solenoid enters the picture. It is a great big switch. When you turn the key to the start position, you are merely energizing the solenoid which is a magnetic device. Internally, a big set of electrical contacts connect the two big posts and presto -- current flows from the + terminal on the battery, to the solenoid, across the big contact to the other big contact, then to the starter, through the starter to the engine block and back to the battery negative post. When the small gear flies up to mesh with the big gear (called a flywheel) the engine will rotate and hopefully start. Simple huh? Now you just need to make sure the cable connections are squeaky clean and tight on both ends. The two small posts on the solenoid are for the ignition switch and ground connection. If you are electrically challenged, buy a case of beer and ask a neighborhood wrench to give you a hand.

steveo555

Cadet

Thanks chaps. I have managed to wire it up now as suggested. Final bit of wiring confusion. If I follow the two wires back from the spark plugs they go up to the round bit on the top then they appear to come back out of what I assume is the distributer and back down to the rear left hand side of the engine where they are not connected to anything. I have been told these may be the stop wires. Is this true? Also should I expect to see wires from the coil to the battery or is that just cars? Oh yes and one final thing I also have a spare black wire which isnt connected to anything. Is this the wire to supply charge back to the battery and if so where should it connect?<br /><br />Sorry about all the questions lads, but I very keen to get this beauty back on the water.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the coils are under the flywheeland the points are too . there is no charging system unless a generator has ben added to it the black and black & white wires are the kill wires. they ground out the coils . . the battery is for cranking onley . the motor runs off the magnito like a lawnmoer

steveo555

Cadet

Thanks alot everyone. I will give her a go this evening when I get home from work.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the 2 wires from spark plugs go to coils . the other 2 are the kill wires from the points