Johnson Super Sea Horse - - Engine Bogs...?

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello.<br />I have a 1966 Johnson 80 HP Super Sea Horse. I had the boat out yesterday, with no probs, and most of today. Like I said most of today. After driving the boat at WOT for about 15 - 20 Mins. I had to drop the rpm's, and when I went to give it again it would not speed up. Rather it seemed to be bogged down as if not all cylinders were firing. The engine at least got me too the marina. (Had to raise the throtle to start position to keep it running in the marina) Would this just be a case of a fould plug?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Also what plugs should I replace these with, and is there a sure tell way to see if it was the plugs failing?

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson Super Sea Horse - - Engine Bogs...?

Been having the same problem with my 1967 60hp Seahorse. Would love to hear some advice. I have put new plugs in, replaced the fuel line and tank, cleaned the low speed needles and fuel bowl and filter. My guess is the points, rotor or wires are causing the eratic operation.

pvisser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just remembered something else.<br /><br />About 5 - 10 mins earlier, my first fuel tank ran out, and I hooked up the second, however I did not open the vent on the tank.<br /><br />Would this have caused the engine to act this way 10 mins later?

MurdockJr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think you found your problem vent must be open. Good Luck.