Johnson Seahorse

Howard

Recruit
I have a 1968 Johnson 40HP electric start with a manual shift system. It has an emergency manual recoil starter and has just stopped running. I have the manual for that series of motors and have the tools that will allow me to pull the flywheel and redo the ignition system. My question is what is the most probable cause for the sudden stoppage of spark. Is it the condensor or something else? I would hate to take it completely apart when it is an easily solved problem. Also, does anyone know where I can get parts for this thing in the Tampa, Fl area?

Capt DHD

Seaman
Re: Johnson Seahorse

Hello;<br />Parts in Tampa Fl., Probibly any Jiffy store!<br />I am sure you will have very little trouble finding parts for this engine in your area, most any of your local dealers should be able to help. <br />As far as losing fire, disconnect your main wire harness from the engine, use your recoil to turn the engine over. if you have fire, your problem is in most likely the ingition switch. Doing this will tell you if the problem is with the controls or with the engine.<br />If you still do not have spark, maybe you should pull the flywheel and check the points. For $20 bucks you should be able to purchase a tuneup kit Pt# 172523 & plugs, Champion J6C. Set the plugs at .030, and the points at .020 make sure to install the new condensers. Reassemble and retest. <br />If you do have to get under the flywheel take a good look at the coils, if they are drycracked, replace them now. These could also be your problem.<br />I am not aware of any kill switches on the engine. The neutral safty switch if not engaged, removes the ground from the starter selinoid, when you try to crank the engine it will not turn over. This switch has nothing to do with the spark. <br />Good Luck, Interested in seeing how things turn out.<br />Rob

Howard

Recruit

Originally posted by Capt DHD:<br />Hello;<br />Parts in Tampa Fl., Probibly any Jiffy store!<br />I am sure you will have very little trouble finding parts for this engine in your area, most any of your local dealers should be able to help. <br />As far as losing fire, disconnect your main wire harness from the engine, use your recoil to turn the engine over. if you have fire, your problem is in most likely the ingition switch. Doing this will tell you if the problem is with the controls or with the engine.<br />If you still do not have spark, maybe you should pull the flywheel and check the points. For $20 bucks you should be able to purchase a tuneup kit Pt# 172523 & plugs, Champion J6C. Set the plugs at .030, and the points at .020 make sure to install the new condensers. Reassemble and retest. <br />If you do have to get under the flywheel take a good look at the coils, if they are drycracked, replace them now. These could also be your problem.<br />I am not aware of any kill switches on the engine. The neutral safty switch if not engaged, removes the ground from the starter selinoid, when you try to crank the engine it will not turn over. This switch has nothing to do with the spark. <br />Good Luck, Interested in seeing how things turn out.<br />Rob

Howard

Recruit

Capt.<br /><br /> I appreciate your reply. I have pulled the flywheel and found that one of the magneto coils has blown out. It broke through the bakelite and the wires were rubbed off by the flywheel. I can fix that problem . You mentioned Jiffy as a supply option. The only Jiffy I know of around here is Jiffy Lube that changes the oil in cars. More information if possible, please.

Howard

Recruit

Originally posted by Howard:<br />Capt.<br /><br /> I appreciate your reply. I have pulled the flywheel and found that one of the magneto coils has blown out. It broke through the bakelite and the wires were rubbed off by the flywheel. I can fix that problem . You mentioned Jiffy as a supply option. The only Jiffy I know of around here is Jiffy Lube that changes the oil in cars. More information if possible, please.

Howard

Recruit

Originally posted by Howard:<br />I have a 1968 Johnson 40HP electric start with a manual shift system. It has an emergency manual recoil starter and has just stopped running. I have the manual for that series of motors and have the tools that will allow me to pull the flywheel and redo the ignition system. My question is what is the most probable cause for the sudden stoppage of spark. Is it the condensor or something else? I would hate to take it completely apart when it is an easily solved problem. Also, does anyone know where I can get parts for this thing in the Tampa, Fl area?
<br /><br />Thanks for the Info<br /><br /><br /> I have learned from an elderly gentleman, who also lives on the river, that NAPA Auto parts stores have extensive stores of repair parts for older outboards. They have a catalog that can be ordered and can save a lot of time when ordering. You can walk in with the part number, they can put it in the computer, and they can tell you if it is at their store. If it is not, they can order it from a parts depot and have it in two days. Oh, by the way, I replaced the ignition coils and the points and the condensers and the plug wires and the plugs. The motor runs fine. Thanks for the help.

Capt DHD

Seaman

Hello;<br />Sorry for the bad joke, I lived in Fl. for 10 years, it seemed as though every convience store sold life jackets then. <br />Tampa has to have 10 boat dealers in and around the city, any one of which should have parts for your engine.<br />I didn't mean to confuse you, just made a bad joke. Maybe thats why I ended up a boat Tech.<br />Rob