Johnson Seahorse 7.5, what year and value?

renatofidani

Recruit
I just inherited my Dad's Seahorse 7.5, I don't know anything about boats or motors. My question is what year is it, and what value does it have? I would like to sell to someone who would appreciate and use it.
Model: #J8RCTA, Serial # E5738515

Thanks in advance for any help extended.

renatofidani

Travis798

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson Seahorse 7.5, what year and value?

I just inherited my Dad's Seahorse 7.5, I don't know anything about boats or motors. My question is what year is it, and what value does it have? I would like to sell to someone who would appreciate and use it.
Model: #J8RCTA, Serial # E5738515

Thanks in advance for any help extended.

renatofidani

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the E in the serial number means it is an Evinrude. The Evinrude model 8RCT (The A is just a production number and not used in finding year) shows to be a 1983 7.5hp, so I'm assuming thats what you have. As far as value, I have no idea.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

It's a Johnson - the E in the serial means nothing as far as moniker. The J in the model number is what designates it as a Johnson...

As far as value, anywhere from $40 in scrap to several hundred if it is clean, runs well and has had recent basic maintenance.

renatofidani

Recruit

Thank you for the response's, very helpful. I now can research model and year on the web.

Stay Safe!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you want the exact details, the J in the model means it is a Johnson. The E preceeding the serial number means it was assembled at the Evinrude factory in Milwaukee. But it is still a Johnson.

Travis798

Seaman Apprentice

If you want the exact details, the J in the model means it is a Johnson. The E preceeding the serial number means it was assembled at the Evinrude factory in Milwaukee. But it is still a Johnson.

Well I thought the J in the model number means Johnson, until I couldn't find any Johnson with that model number. I did however find that model number for Evinrude, and the hp matched up to what he said he had. Maybe the list was wrong, I don't know, but I'm guessing Johnson or Evinrude, it's probably the 83 model that showed under Evinrude in the model number list.