Johnson Sea Horse 10

GWUISTER

Cadet
I just got one of these. I can't find any ID plate but the number on the side plug is 2275508.<br />Can a year be determined from that?<br />Any opinions on this motor?<br />It hasn't been run in a long time so it will need an impeller and tune up at least. <br />Where is the impeller on this motor?<br />Is the mix 24 to 1?<br />I will need to get a manual, is a factory manual available or will I need a Climer type?<br />Any help is apperciated. -Greg

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Sea Horse 10

Nope...that number won't help. The model number will be a QD-something from 11 to 24.<br /><br />The old 10's are solid running motors when cared for. I get lots in my shop. <br /><br />If the engine hasn't been run for a while, I would suggest a pump impeller, carb overhaul and take a look at th points/condensers and coils under the flywheel.<br /><br />The impeller sets atop of the lower unit which will have to be dropped to access the impeller.<br /><br />Fuel mix is 24:1. I think for what you need to do, a Clymer or Seloc service manual will do.<br /><br />Look at the bottom of the page for manuals. Iboats carry them.

jleus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe they went from the throttle in the cowl to the tiller handle in '56 or so. My '53 QD-13 has the throttle in the cowl.

GWUISTER

Cadet

Thanks OBJ, ID plate is missing so no QD #'s. From the looks it must be a 62 or 63. I will order up a book and get into it.<br />Greg

Paul Moir

Admiral

1962 by the serial number.<br />I guess that makes it a QD-23.<br />Impeller is where it is on most ouboards, just above the lower unit. The lower unit must be removed to find the water pump.<br />Fuel/Oil mix is 24:1 87 octane gas to TC-W3 outboard oil.<br /><br />Forget about the Clymers. If you want an aftermarket manual go with Seloc. The factory manuals are best but kencook.com has jacked the prices of the older fmanuals unreasonably high (~75). marineengine.com still has them listed at thier old price. I don't see any used ones on ebay right now.

GWUISTER

Cadet

Thanks Paul, looks like parts are inexpensive. I may eventually do a complete restoration. Looking forward to getting it on the water.<br />Greg

petdoctor

Recruit

i ran across this in my searching, do you mind if i ask a couple related questions?<br /> my recent purchase is a johnson 10 sea horse, qd 21. how do you determine the year from the 21? research on the site suggests this is 1960 vintage, but how does one calculate it? <br /> what is the spark plug gap for this engine?<br /> the current plugs are champion J6C. what is the correct gap? and are there any alternate plugs i can use? (the first store i stopped at didn't have them, and said J8C's would be fine)<br /> then i went to look at impellers in iboats, and they are all listed by part number as opposed to model and year. anybody know which impeller i need? should replacing just the impeller be ok? or should i replace the plate, bearings, etc with a water pump kit? (haven't taken it apart yet)<br /> last question; someone crossposted to a site that breaks down parts for an evinrude 10 hp sportwin, 1958. how close does this engine mimic mineas far as the schematics go? <br /> this is an awesome site! thanks

GWUISTER

Cadet

Update on the Sea Horse 10. I fired it up in a drum today. Seems to be mechanically sound. Shifts gears ok and no funny noises. Looks like it pumps water ok for testing. Blows water out the upper exhaust and out of two holes down on the leg. Its problem is its only running on the lower cylinder. No spark to the top cylinder. Took the inspection cover off the flywheel and one of the coils is cracked. Cool.<br />So I ordered coils, points, condencers, carb kit and impeller and a manual. That ought to fix it.<br />Odd but it looks like if I needed a head gasket or fuel pump kit I would be sol. Wonder why?<br />Thanks for the help -Greg