Johnson Outboards ???

So why should a get a Johnson over a merc or yamaha ? looking at a boat that is currently equipted with a Johnson Ocean runner. Is there any big differences or is it just prefference?

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Johnson Outboards ???

Cause they are the best, thats why. :D Its kinda like Ford vs. Chevy, and I left Dodge out on purpose. :DLOL

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Cause they are the best (along with Evinrude)... Canadian made!

jonesg

Admiral

So why should a get a Johnson over a merc or yamaha ? looking at a boat that is currently equipted with a Johnson Ocean runner. Is there any big differences or is it just prefference?

johnson, easy to work on, stay away from the fitch model , make sure the model number doesn't contain an F.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Choosing one brand over another depends on what models you are considering and the availability of service/parts in your area. For example, the 60* V6 carb Johnnys and 60* V6 carb Mercs, are nearly the same displacement and design. Both are fine motors. if you are looking at these, pick the one with the best service+parts availability.

As for other models, usually 3 cylinder 2 cycle motors are better than 2 or 4 cylinder 2 cycle motors, of the same HP. They are lighter than the 4 cylinder models and run smoother than either 2 or 4 cylinder motors. Comparing 2 cylinder motors of different brands, is likely a wash as well.

If you are comparing Optimax with e-TEC, I think it is a toss up. I personnelly like the Optimax design better since you are compressing air vs fuel, but both are fine motors.

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercury and Yamaha, and Nissan, and Suzuki, copied a lot of the Johnnyrude technologies and features in the < 70 hp range