Johnson Outboard Noise

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
My 1998 Johnson 225 outboard recently started making a rattle noise (a video is in the link below). I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the direction of the cause. It has me lost. It almost sounds like something is loose rattling around, but I feel like it is too loud. I was thinking it might be a bearing but I have no idea what that would sound like. I tried to take the cowling off to hear where it is coming from, but the other engine noises drown it out when the cowling is removed. That made me think it is something not under the cowling. I did take the lower unit off, but it still made the noise. It almost sounds like it is coming from the area where the motor rotates when it is trimmed up and down, but it is hard to tell with all of the other noise.

Also, it started during the first day of a two day tournament so I have ran it a bit while it was making the noise with no noticeable loss of power.

This is the noise:

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The most common rattle noise of the engines comes from a slightly miss-adjusted hood latch.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Check for loose magnets rubbing stator, upper bearing end cap bolts missing,lower bearing failed,upper bearing has lowerrow of bearing broken fell out......all the above is common problem with 96 and up motors

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, I should have time to check those things this weekend. I will let you know what I find.

Blakek25

Seaman Apprentice
I think I found the issue. It looks like it is a loose lower bearing cover, but I will have to pull the powerhead to get a good look at it and to fix it. If it is the bearing cover, will I need to replace the bearing and/or seals while I have it tore apart?