johnson or merc

termz

Seaman Apprentice
I recently sold my old 120 force outboard(still ran amazing). my boat is rated for a 150 hp outboard which is what I intend to upgrade to. I have a couple good deals on a "1989 Johnson tracker gt 150 pro series" and a "mercury 150 efi saltwater". both outboards run amazing. The mercury is about $1500 more then the Johnson and was wondering what you would go with. I use my boat for kneaboarding wakeboarding and fishing. basically what im looking for is any bad reputations either of these motors have and what I should watch for ect , and which would be better for my activities.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson or merc

If the Johnny is a 60* V6, then both motors are real similar in design. I do not know if the EFI system is an advantage in terms of fuel efficiency. I had heard it makes no difference, but it starts easier. If the year of the Merc is the same as the Johnny, that makes it a toss up....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go with the Johnny.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've been around outboards for over 40 years as a mechanic and always found the OMC's were easier to work on. And yes, I've worked on the Mercs too.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The only real difference between the V6 Mercs and the 60* V6 Johnny's is beauty. The Johnny is a beautiful motor under the cowling. The Merc is much uglier under the cowling. Not laid out as neatly, more wires snaked around, more rubber tubing, uglier flywheel cover and airbox. The rest of the motors are really about the same. Same displacement, same aprox weight. Johnnys have 6 carbs, Mercs have 3 two barrel carbs. Each have six coils, but the Johnny's are 3 dual coils. Merc has two switchboxes, Johnny has one powerpack. Johnny has a 35A voltage regulator, Merc has twin 20A voltage regulators Gee, it is not even a black vs white thing, as both blocks are painted black. Obviously I have one of each. Not sure any has a real advantage for maintenance or repair. White motors look a bit nicer, when they are clean, which is never, after the season starts.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Which one has closer service support to you? Id look at that and then factor purchase price. Why spend an extra $1500.00 on something that is relatively the same.