Johnson milemaster 6 gallon tank question

Erik02c

Cadet
I have a 6 gallon milemaster (1958 i beleive) and i ordered the parts to rebuild the tank but I can not get the screws off of the top of the tank. It's almost like they are welded on! Does anyone have experience with this sort of this who can help me out? I dont really want to drill them out but i may have to. ANY SUGGESTIONS would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Eric-

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson milemaster 6 gallon tank question

big (Wide) screw driver, someone to hold and push down, turn screwdriver with channel locks. or get a screw driver bit for the socket wrench, and push down hard.

JB

Try an impact screwdriver.

DHPMARINE

Captain

They used good quality screws back then (if they are original) so they are strong.But have you used any penetrant oil on them yet ?

DHP

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The screws thread into a retainer plate (41) inside the tank. It must be pretty corroded in there.

Pour a goodly amount of PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench in the tank and turn it upside down and let it soak.

The worst you can do is twist some of them off and if you do, the retainer comes out easy so you can deal with it outside the tank.
1958pressuretank.jpg

rubio6

Cadet

I agree with a large wide screw driver. Although I don't think I would use anything with power. You want to have all control yourself. Someone pushing down while you twist with channel locks is also a good idea. Just make sure that second person has one hand on top of the screw driver and on bottom in case the tip of the screwdriver slips, it doesn't go into you. Soaking it with wd-40 or a synthetic lubricant for a day is also a very good idea. Where did you find the parts to rebuild the tank, I am looking for the pressure relief valve. Do you have a pic of the tank that you can post. I would like to compare it to mine. Thanks, and good luck.

JB

I think he probably got it out, rubio. This thread is over a year old.

rubio6

Cadet

I think he probably got it out, rubio. This thread is over a year old.

LMFAO.......What a dip****, I didn't even notice that. Thanks guy, take care.