Johnson meteor eletramatic mod- V4TL13A 100HP

Hi all , I have the above old girl on a old boat, it starts and goes and you can feel it drop into gear- however it will rev up but there is very little power getting to the prop, the word electromatic may suggest it could be as simple as low oil in the gear box or something but i am no wiz. Can anyone help with this problem.
thanks chris.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What does oil in the lower unit look like ?----Drained / changed it ?----Using a Type -C / premium blend gear oil for electric shift ?----I do not believe you understand how that electramatic shift works !!----Not a low oil problem.------Likely a problem with the hub slipping in the prop.----So look at it.----Have it tested.---Or try another prop.----Your location ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Easy to test the prop hub yourself for slipping. Make a mark on the plastic prop nut and another on the prop itself, aligned with the first one. Run the motor till suspected slippage occurs. Stop motor and check the marks. If no longer aligned, it slipped.

What does oil in the lower unit look like ?----Drained / changed it ?----Using a Type -C / premium blend gear oil for electric shift ?----I do not believe you understand how that electramatic shift works !!----Not a low oil problem.------Likely a problem with the hub slipping in the prop.----So look at it.----Have it tested.---Or try another prop.----Your location ?
As stated no understanding of its workings. but thank you, i will check out the prop for slipping as that was my second guess - broken key way or stripped teeth. and i will service and change oil with type C when removing the prop.
Tamworth NSW Australia.
thanks again chris

Easy to test the prop hub yourself for slipping. Make a mark on the plastic prop nut and another on the prop itself, aligned with the first one. Run the motor till suspected slippage occurs. Stop motor and check the marks. If no longer aligned, it slipped.
Easy done- so i make the guess if it slips the teeth or keyway would be bugged and i need a new prop or shaft or both ?
Thank you. chris

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No----The rubber hub might be slipping and all you need then is another prop as clearly stated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I waterskied many miles behind a 1966 model.----The clutch spring and drive hub inside the gearcase might be slipping.----But I consider that gearcase to be simple and nearly bullet proof.----Just make sure no water gets into it.

I waterskied many miles behind a 1966 model.----The clutch spring and drive hub inside the gearcase might be slipping.----But I consider that gearcase to be simple and nearly bullet proof.----Just make sure no water gets into it.
Wilco cheers

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Easy done- so i make the guess if it slips the teeth or keyway would be bugged and i need a new prop or shaft or both ?
Thank you. chris
Almost all outboard props have some sort of rubber cushion in the hub to protect against impacts or shocks such as shifting gears. It is the rubber hub that fails and slips. If that happens, the prop can be re-hubbed (maybe) or simply replace the defective prop.Prop Cutaway.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have a cutaway prop just like that for the folks who showed a degree of mistrust and disbelief !

Almost all outboard props have some sort of rubber cushion in the hub to protect against impacts or shocks such as shifting gears. It is the rubber hub that fails and slips. If that happens, the prop can be re-hubbed (maybe) or simply replace the defective prop.View attachment 354691
Groovy - i have learned a lot in a very short time thank you very very much.
I will check it all out and post what i find for others.
Thanks again Chris.