Johnson J130PLSS 130hp 2000 model

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Howdy, I just purchased a used boat with a johnson 130 on it. I took it out twice this weekend.. First run out it was missing and droping one cylinder. At times it would run on all four then start missing on one. I replaced the spark plugs and took it out again. This time it ran better but, it still drops one cylinder but, not all the time. It's doesn't matter what rpm i run it at either. I checked to make sure that all the plug wires were connected and everything seems to be in working order. I even went as far as putting a timinglight on it while it was out of the water on the muffs. It was flashing like all the cylinders were getting spark. Could there be something in one of the carbs that blocks fuel to it? It comes and goes so i'm pretty sure it's not electrical. Is it hard to drop the bowls and inspect them? And if i do will i need new gaskets to do so? :( <br />Any thing else i can check? Thanks for the help.<br />--Hop

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson J130PLSS 130hp 2000 model

Save yourself both time and money by buying the OMC shop and parts manual for your motor. I spent buckets of time on mine before buying the OMC manuals and have no regrets at the expense of doing it right.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I drained the carbs lastnight and everything that came out looked clean. I'm thinking of changing the plugs one more time and running it to see if it will clear up. I'm thinking that it sat for a year or so before i bought it.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it possible for coils to go bad and work at times and not at others? I thought if one of those went bad that it would just quit completely. Kinda urks me that i can see anything wrong with this engine. It looks brand new. And when did Johnson switch over to plastic carbs?

93bronco

Ensign

dont worry someone should pick this up.<br />i know that when my 120/140 did this- it was the powerpack.<br />when running it ran great. the carbs have been like that going back to 1985.<br />dont give up on the motor.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've also noticed that when it starts giving me fits that the rpm gauge gets fubar.. It reads a higher rpm than it should and isn't turning higher rpms... maybe a short? And i know it's not cavitating..

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ah well thanks any how... i've decided to take it to the shop.. This way i'll know it will be ready to fish with this weekend..

93bronco

Ensign

sorry to see the smart ones didnt pick this up. i wished i couldve been more help.<br />ill try to explain what mine was doing <br />-<br />it would start up no problems, seemed to run fine on muffs <by the way get yourself a flushing muffler>. but when i got it to the water would not go above 2000 to 2500rpm & then run fine. #2 plug was wet- but you could tell it was firing at times.<br />i also had excess oil running down skeg. so i took it into the shop had everything checked.<br />i got the call the power pack was bad. a new one went on- no more oil and it ran great.<br />-<br />if it was my motor<br />1- i would get an omc manual <br />2-compression test<not a bad idea to replace head gaskets or atleast retorque heads><br />3-change the fuel filter & inspect all the lines<br />4-clean all electrical connections, including coil bolts, ground wires<br />5-check for spark , plug wires for cracks, coils too. <spark tester should be set at 7/16 gap w/blue arch><br />6-remove airbox and pump bulb to make sure no fuel is coming out of the carbs & bulb stays hard<br />7-while box is off make sure all carb lines are good and connected. <primer/fuel> lync & sync throttle before you close up<br />8-check all recirculaton check valves & fittings <refer to manual> very easy<br />9-check pulse limiter valve <manual> easy<br />10-inspect/replace thermostats<br />11-inspect water pump & replace impeller<br />12-then i would run at nite checking for any spark arching. & remove each plug one at a time to see if there is a difference<br />-<br />of coarse if you can rebuilding carbs is a good idea. <br />if you still have a problem with just one cylinder try switching that coil with one from the opposite side, to isolate a bad coil.<br />-<br />this is time consuming but you will know more about your motor and save yourself $$$.<br />-<br />when i torn my 120/140 down to clean/inspect the parts to put on spare power head, you would not believe how dirty the recircualtion fittings were. as well as bad check valves.<br />i feel that should have been taken care of when i asked for a complete bill of health- before i put into the water <i paid for it>. i now know where not to take my motor.<br />-<br />if i missed anything, i stand to be corrected. just trying to help.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The motor has very low hours on it. I have flush muffs. so i hooked a timing light up to each plug wire while on the muffs.. From the looks of it all the plugs were fireing. Compression test i had done.. 132 on port bank and 135 on stbd. I think it's either something floating around in one of the carbs or that there is a coil on it's last leggs. I dropped it off this morning so i should hear back from the shop by the end of the day. It's really weird.. It would run like a raped ape then all of a sudden one of the cylinders would drop and it would lose 800 or so rpm. I'd throttle back and it would start hitting again.. but, what puzzles me even more is that fact that it did it throught the whole power range. It missed at times idleing as well.. all in all the boats in damn fine shape. Thanks for the help and i'm sure that i'll get a service manual in the near future.<br />Here are a few pics..<br /> Port side <br /> Stern <br /> Console

93bronco

Ensign

Nice Boat!! <br />you mite want to rebuild the carbs- you could just have some crude in there.<$18 a kit> <br />on the older carbs you have 2 air jets that could be blown out with less than 10lbs of air. <br />the newer ones have the air adjustment screw & 1 air jet <orifice> you could try to blow out the one on all 4 & see.<br />-<br />the carbs are very easy to rebuild<br />do have a water/fuel separator filter?><br />-<br />i was talking about an actual flushing muffler from overtons. it helps with back pressure and the noise to be neighbor friendly.<br />-<br />heres a pic of my boat 1994 1802 W/A
fbf2f488.jpg
<br />-<br />i bought the motor as a 92 120 that turned out to be a 88 140. <br />due to bad rebuild from seller & shoty work from local shop- im replacing the power head with one from a 93 120. it will still be a 140 in 120 trim.<br />-<br />to get a basic idea on prices go to www.boaterssupply.com<br />it only goes to 1999, mite be slite changes- but parts should still be the same. it provides an excellent parts break down.<br />the parts are priced good, but i have found a cheaper source for the power packs and coils.<br />but i dont know if they are omc or after market.<br />when in doubt buy original- if not on a budget.

93bronco

Ensign

did you hear any good news about your motor? thanx

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good news, I got it back from the mechanic and he said there was nothing wrong. I took it out this weekend and it only dropped a cylinder once. I'm almost positive now that it had some water/ crud in the gas tank. My next investment is going to be a manual and a water/gas seperator. I added some fuel conditioner to the tank and it seemed to help.<br />Thanks for the help!

93bronco

Ensign

good news is always great to hear. have fun!

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Arrrgh!! It's acting up on me again! I think i've found the problem this time.. I've installed the water/gas filter seperator sunday. and checked the gap on the plugs i installed last week. I asumed that the plugs were pre gapped out of the box. Boy was i wrong. I checked the gap and it was at .019 this could be the reason that it was fouling the plugs. I opened it up to .035. Is that gap too large? I was trying to remember what gap i use to run on my 115 rude. i think it was either .032 or .035. Ah well.. hope this fixes it.<br />-hop

Walker

Captain

Try a couple of more things before you panic. First new plugs, L77JC4 Champions gapped at .030.<br />Second, unbolt each coil from the block and clean the ground straps and the block where they bolt on.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The L77JC4's are what i use to run in my old 115 rude. I went back with what the factory had in the motor. I don't remember what they were right off hand. I do know that they were the factory plugs cuz they had black paint on them. I'll re-gap them again. I think i use to run them .032 and not .035. I'll try it again this weekend. I sure hope it was something simple like this. From the looks of the plugs i pulled out (after3-4 hours on them) all looked the same. So i think it has to be the gap. If it was a coil or power pack one plug would foul all the time.<br />I'll go ahead and clean where they mount to the block. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow found an old post i made with no update. <br /><br />It was the spark plugs. They were gapped wrong. I replaced them with new ones with the proper gap and haven't had any problems since. Thanks to all for the help.<br />--Hop

Hopsdak

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now on to another question. Is the exhaust\water suppose to exit out above the lower unit?<br />I thought all the water was suppose to come out of the prop. I noticed this while i had it running on the muffs. Here is a picture of where i'm talking about. It's just forward of the plate with 4 bolts (Both of those seem to be leaking too). You can see day light in the spot i'm talking about.<br />
exhaust.jpg
<br />I've also noticed that no water exits the two holes half way up on the stern. Is that normal on the muffs?<br />Thanks, Hop<br />P.S. I havent had any cooling probems and i have great water pressure. I was thinking maybe a gasket blew out or something.

93bronco

Ensign

drop lower unit & check the upper & lower exaust housing gasket.

Walker

Captain

Not at all uncommon for water to come out there. Don't worry about unless there is anothe issue like overheating.