Johnson HydroElectric Shift Switch

jimtodd72

Seaman
Can anyone help me with a part number and a possible source for the small forward-neutral-reverse switch that mounts inside the shift box for a 1971 100hp Johnson V4 with hydro-electric shift?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jim

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Johnson HydroElectric Shift Switch

Last time I checked,which was quite some time ago,those switches were already getting hard to come by and had been no longer available from O.M.C.for awhile.I don't have web addresses but you might search Stone and sons marine,or Shipwreck marine,or Rancho cordova marine salvage, or HEY, just marine salvage.Good luck.

jimtodd72

Seaman

Thanks for the advice. I've currently got it bypassed to a three way light switch mounted on the console which works fine and is far less expensive and easier to find.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

That works.I remember doing one of those myself.Welcome to the McGiver school of marine repair.My motto is adapt and overcome.

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see that you have a 1970 Hydroelectric 100hp motor. I have a 1969 115HP. They are great motors. <br /><br />Do you have the original factory service manual for the motor. If not, and you would like to buy one for a reasonable price, let me know. I find the original service manuals are great because they give specific info and pictures for my exact motor and controls only, not a bunch of different motors, years, and general fixit ideas like the aftermarket CLymers and Seloc. Specific information covering my entire motor.<br /><br />I have the original manuals for all 1970 Johnson motors. The manual for your motor for $9.99+SH. <br /><br />If you are interested. You wouldn't be disappointed in the quality of the manual, it is original.<br /><br />Arlan

hellbender

Recruit

heya ajp,i have a 73johnson50,50th annv.outboard that i have to rebuild.i cant even find a clymer around here.if you can help please email. :p

ajp

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't help with the 1973. I have been looking myself for a service manual for a 1973 65hp.<br /><br />You might check a post further down titles "Manuals???". The guy on there says he has old manuals. Or check on EBAY.<br /><br />Arlan

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hey ya'll,<br />This is the second post of this today but send your search engine looking for "Ken Cook Marine Publications" He's got all sorts of OEM manuals. 'ats where I got mine.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />hooty

wdudley

Cadet

Hey JT72 or Hondon, is the three way switch a replacement for nonworking solenoids? i have a 68 55hp johnson in need of solenoids. If you folks know where to find replacements or a work around, please advice. I'd like to graduate from the McGiver school also...<br />Thanks Will

jimtodd72

Seaman

The three way switch is simply a three way off-on-on light switch you would mount t your dash to control your running lights. I used one to replace the switch inside the throttle control box which was broken and very difficult to find and expensive to replace. Solenoids were in good shape.<br /><br />Jim

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey AJP, how different are the 72's to the 70's?? if they are not that different, I'm interested in getting a manual. (frankieh@vianet.net.au)<br /><br />Onto the subject at hand.<br />The switch we are talking about goes in the control box, it sits under the throttle lever and is moved forward and backward with the lever. This means that when you pull the lever into reverse, the switch moves to reverse and turns on both soleniods.. or it turns on one for neutral and both off for forward.. <br /><br />I replaced my switch with a aftermarket power window switch, which I put there the original was,, then I drilled a hole in the bottom of the lever and put a screw in there to flick the switch.. worked a treat and is a **** site stronger then the old one..<br /><br />I have a 72 100HP (see my name for the model.) and I recently pulled both my soleniods out,, found out that in my case, the soleniods were fine, it was the wire under the coverplate to the soleniods that was bad... before you stress about needing new soleniods, pull yours out, and hook earth to their bodys and positive to the wires coming from them, (one green and one blue) if they suddenly become very magnetic, they are working fine.<br /><br />I replaced my wiring from the powerhead right down the the soleniods, flushed my gearcase with 2 stroke mix to unclog the oil pump in the leg and it worked, I have forward, neutral and reverse again.. fantastic as I didn't have to strip the leg.<br /><br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank