Johnson Hydro-Electric Drive

jimtodd72

Seaman
I have a 1971 100 hp Johnson with hydroelectric shift. At the beginning of the past few seasons I have had to tear down the lower unit to find and fix leaking seals so my lower unit lube would get changed at that time. This year, I have all the leaks fixed and therefore don't have to tear anything down but was wondering if I need to in any way clean or flush out the lower unit before filling it with new lube for this season and if so, how would I go about this?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Jim

Trent

Captain
Re: Johnson Hydro-Electric Drive

No need to flush. Just drain and check for metal. Make sure (im sure you know)you put the correct lube in these hydro/electrics cause they take a different lube than other outboards.

sonnie

Cadet

trent,<br /><br />how different is the ES lube? what do they add. i'v heard that it is a little less viscous. is this true? :confused:

Trent

Captain

Yep, Thats true.<br /><br />There are three API service categories for gear oils:<br />* API GL-1<br />* API GL-4<br />* API GL-5 <br />Most outboard manufacturers recommend API GL5 gear oils for their lower units. API GL-5 gear lubricants are for both mechanical shift units calling for Type B gear oil and electrical shift mechanisms calling for Type C gear oil. (only the viscosity value will be different for each application)