johnson history

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: johnson history

its really sad to see these amazing motors just fade away :( how can with such a big name just die off.may they rest in peace.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

They was the best old motors too. At least they are carrying Evinrudes name, but it will never be the same. (snfff. sob):( Makes me wonder what I will do in 60 years when it is hard to find an old Johnson or authentic Rude. By then they will be worth so much I probably couldn't afford one. And, I cannot see me buying something with MERCURY stamped on the side. What a disgrace.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

They was the best old motors too. At least they are carrying Evinrudes name, but it will never be the same. (snfff. sob):( Makes me wonder what I will do in 60 years when it is hard to find an old Johnson or authentic Rude. By then they will be worth so much I probably couldn't afford one. And, I cannot see me buying something with MERCURY stamped on the side. What a disgrace.

i know what you mean and i just bought a new never ben used johnson 2001(the last model ever made by OMC) the dealer had it sitting in the back for some time but my eyes lit up when i seen it and once he told me it was never used and i checked it out i had to have it.but im just wondering if i should be using it or saving it for the futrue because im sure 50 years from now a OMC johnson that was never used would be worth some serious bucks

CATransplant

Admiral

Sometimes you can't tell the difference between an older Johnson and Evinrude. You know, if the cowling's gone and all.

There's an easy way. If it starts on the second pull, it's a Johnson. If it takes more than two pulls, it's an Evinrude. :D

Pony

Rear Admiral

Sometimes you can't tell the difference between an older Johnson and Evinrude. You know, if the cowling's gone and all.

There's an easy way. If it starts on the second pull, it's a Johnson. If it takes more than two pulls, it's an Evinrude. :D

I guess I have always been partial to Evinrudes.......since I was born where they were (Milwaukee WI). Though I own one of each now.

Wierd though, since the town I live in is within walking distance of Cedarburg WI, where Mercury started.......and I have no desire to own one.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

but im just wondering if i should be using it or saving it for the futrue because im sure 50 years from now a OMC johnson that was never used would be worth some serious bucks

You might want to figure in what it would cost to tear it down and rebuild it, cause after sitting that long, the entire engine will have to be gone through..

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might want to figure in what it would cost to tear it down and rebuild it, cause after sitting that long, the entire engine will have to be gone through..

lol yea maybe a force i just bought a 2000 OMC johnson brand new never used it ben sitting for 7 years but since there was never any fuel puped through the lines it started right up that was after we got rid of all the spider nests under the crown lol.this outboard was also kept outside the dealer sells yamahas now and he said after OMC went bankrupt no one wanted to buy it(no warenty)but you dont need warenties on OMC's they got 60 year old motors still running.so yea it would be possiable b.

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And don't forget..Ole Evinrude was from Viking heritage and yes it's a shame we couldn't keep those wonderful skills and pass them along but some very strange things happened after the war to US industry and look at it now...can we say Walmart type thinking. :(

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Stop crying over spilled milk and get out there and rescue an old Jonnyrude or two, or three, or four...I have 3 in the shop that are older than I am (pushing 50) and they're still running strong. The name will go the way of Packard, Hudson, LaSalle, Pierce-Arrow, Studebaker, etc. but the product will live on as long as some of us keep them running.