Johnson Electric Shift

jimtodd72

Seaman
The switch inside my shift box which controls the shift solenoids broke a long time ago and I replaced it with a three way off-on-on switch on the dash and it has seemed to work fine...in fact, I've recommended this to several folks on this board. One thing I noticed was that my reverse never seemed to shift crisply after this fix but assumed this was just from old age of the engine.<br />I started the boat yesterday and could not get it to shift into neutral so I went to replace the switch and was struck with a thought...this three way light switch has no power in the all the way in position (forward), electrifies one solenoid in the middle position (neutral), and (here's the bad part) electrifies both solenoids in the all the way out position, thus neutral and reverse are fighting each other which would explain why reverse was never what it should have been with this setup. What I need is a source for the OEM switch inside the shift box or an off-on-on switch which won't electrify both shift solenoids at the same time, or some other idea to make this work properly. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Jim

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Electric Shift

JT72.... You don't say what year, make, or horsepower engine you're speaking of. However, if your lower unit consists of a "Hydro Electric Shift" set up, it's wired properly. That lower unit would have a spring loaded clutch dog that engages forward gear when no voltage is applied. Neutral has 12v being applied to the green wire leading to the lower unit... and 12v would be applied to both the green wire and the blue wire for reverse. The solenoid are not fighting one another, they're simply getting more power in reverse to change the oil pump passageways.

petryshyn

Commander

Jim<br /><br />that sounds normal, remember....<br /><br />>forward = no power to solenoids<br />>neutral = power to one solenoid<br />>reverse = power to both solenoids<br /><br />If it shifts lazy, try flushing LU with DextronIII. Drain old oil, fill with dextron, run on hose, put through gears for several minutes. Then be sure you put type "C" back in... Also check the voltage applied to the lead to LU. Should be battery voltage :)

dicktaber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JT--had my switch go out right after I bought my first boat, last summer. Wasn't smart enough to think of an alternate method, so I started looking. Found two semi-local dealers who had the part. Part number is 0385253, called a "switch & cable", price was about $80. One was Ahlstrand Marine in Mundelein, IL, the other was Denna Outdoors, Bensenville, IL. If you can't find them I'll look up the phone numbers. I know Ahlstrand has a website, I'm not sure about Denna. Call me at (847) 253-5969 if I can help.

jimtodd72

Seaman

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like I just had my theory on how this thing works screwed up and I was right before I started thinking too much.<br /> :D