Johnson carburetor cleaning

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice
I am running a 1958 Super Sea Horse, 35hp, model RDS20. My manual says don't use carb dip to clean the carb because it will remove some kind of sealing compound applied during manufacture and cause porosity problems.<br />I use carb dip on every other kind of metal carb so I can't help wondering if this advice is correct or not. What do you do? Ever had a problem using carb dip on a Johnson carb of this vintage?

93bronco

Ensign
Re: Johnson carburetor cleaning

even some of the newer carbs say the same. i used gum out carb spray & air (less that 25 psi).<br />the carb dip eats away any adhesive & coatings.

mrn714

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gas will clean carbs just as well, or better. I have always use that and ether with air pressure to get them clean. Gas is a gas. Light one up while cleaning, always a good time. <br /> :eek:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I've ignored that warning due to the fact that it simply didn't seem logical to me. Never encountered a problem. Just be sure to remove any nylon/plastic/non metal items before dunking.

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks much for the input. The jury is split on this one. I have used all these methods sucessfully over the years but I think carb dip does a better job of getting into the small passages and loosening up the crud. I have an extra carb and I think that I will dip it and see what happens. Sometimes experience is the best teacher and mistakes are part of the learning curve. With all the "mistake teaching" I've had, I should have a degree by now :D ! Any other thoughts?

bubbakat

Captain

I would go with joe on this one. He knows what he is saying have followed several of his posts and haven't went wrong yet<br />just my input

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

Joe has given me a lot of good advice also. I really can't see a half hour in the dip hurting a metal carb. If I have any problems with the extra one I'm going to try it on, I'll be surprised.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I would take issue with Thom's advice that gasoline is an adequate carb cleaner. Sure gas will remove grease and dirt and stuff but if you have dried varnish deposits in an old carb jet orifice, one that has been sitting in a garage for a year or so, gasoline isn't going to remove the varnish, and something more agressive like carb cleaner, either in a spray can or a dip would be necessary to dissolve it. Then spray with compressed air. If gasoline was so great, just running the engine would remove carb depostis and we all know that won't get it. But that's just my opinion.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just to offer a different view, I don't like dipping because it doesn't let me see inside the carb to see if there's more wrong than just gum.<br /><br />I've clean carbs by exposing the float chamber and squirting an aerosol can of carb cleaner down all the passages with the tube that fits in the nozzle of the can. It directs all the cleaner into the hole and puts a little bit of pressure behind it as well. <br /><br />I don't have compressed air so if there are solid blocks I use a bit of fine copper wire pulled out of an electrical lead. I know that recommended practice is not to put wire or anything else into carb holes, but I haven't had any problems yet. The copper should be fine and soft enough not to damage or enlarge any of the orifices.<br /><br />The advantage of my method over soaking it in dip is that I can see if the the cleaner is coming out the other end of the passage, which it won't with some solid blockages which mightn't be removed by dipping. It also gives me the opportunity to check the float level and operation, and the condition of the needle and seat.

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

Best way to dip a carb Tinkerer, is to totally disassemble it. If all plastic and rubber parts aren't removed, the dip will eat 'em up. :eek: <br />I have used the methods that you describe on all sorts of carbs. The spray can of carb cleaner does a great job. When I got a air compresser, I started to use dip and compressed air. Haven't had any problems so far. The question came up when I read a sentence in my manual (Clymer) which advised against using dip on these Johnson carbs. So far, no one has stated that they have had any problems using the dip. I'm with jimd on the gas issue. If it would clean the carb, we'd never have to.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Tinkerer.... I always use the methods you speak of in conjunction with dunking if dunking is necessary. There are times when the carb problem is a small item and obvious, and if so, your method is also my method (hey, it works eh?).<br /><br />Bottom line.... Assume nothing is clean, double check it!

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

Well I dipped my extra carb and rebuilt it. Ran it on my boat Monday all over the river chasing the sauger run. Caught a bunch and the boat ran fine. No problems with the carb that I can see. Joe's right as usual. Checked my Mercury manual and found that it shows how to dip carbs. Wonder why the Clymer Johnny Rude manual says not to.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

Their rational stated in my Clymer Suzuki manual is that some carbs are coated with a clear coat to retard corrosion. It is this supposed clear coat they are concerned about, both losing its supposed protection and also dissolving it and clogging orifices with it. I don't know if its true or not.

Hearseman

Recruit

I have a 13 year old 25 Johnson and have never had any carb problems and it always starts & runs great..about every other gas fill up (6gal tank)I add about 1/3 bottle of Super Teck Fuel Injector & Carb Cleaner (Walmart 80cents+-)and when I'm still in the water I disconnect the gas line and run the motor until the gas is out of the card..<br />Works for me...

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like a good idea. Get it clean and keep it clean. I have two 1958's, one I've had for 20 years and another that I got a month ago. It had a messed up carb with a part missing, and the float was no good. While looking for the missing part, I got a nice deal on yet another carb. It was filthy. It's clean now and worked fine on my first motor so now it can go into service on the newly purchased motor which I'm in the process of fixing up now. Your point about running the gas out is a good one. I have to wonder what the carb and injector cleaner that you use would do to the cork float in one of these old Johnsons.

marcus mccance

Recruit

I have a Carb off a 150h Johnson 1985 Sea Horse. I have removed the carbs and need to rebuild and clean...little gun shy....any instruction manual to give me some help...or is rebuild kits have adequate step by step procedure.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have a Carb off a 150h Johnson 1985 Sea Horse. I have removed the carbs and need to rebuild and clean...little gun shy....any instruction manual to give me some help...or is rebuild kits have adequate step by step procedure.

This thread is over 6 years old !!!!
Start a new thread for best results.

Welcome to iboats