Johnson 88spl 1987 Ignition Switch issue?

SPolleyPT

Recruit
I tried to run my boat for the first time this year. I turned the key and nothing happened. I realized I connected the battery wrong, black to red and vice versa. Switched the wires around and still nothing. Changed the fuses in the fuse box and nothing. Bought new battery as the old one was not holding charge. Still nothing. Poked around under the dash and found the if I jumped power from the trim/tilt switch to the ignition switch the boat the gas guage, battery guage and ignition switch would work (even in the off position). Boat would turn over, however I obviously cannot leave it that way, because everything is on even with the key in off?
Any suggestions? I think the ignition switch may be bad, could I be missing something else. It soulds like there is no power going to the ignition switch. I am getting a multitester tomorrow.
Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Johnson 88spl 1987 Ignition Switch issue?

1 st you have fried the rectifier, or more. there is an inline fuse near the starter solenoid, 20 it provides power for the starting circuit. lower right side of picture
MVC-005S.jpg