Johnson 55hp hydro-electric shift, No neutral

wdudley

Cadet
I have a Johnson 55hp. model trl-10r s/n J2979600. I just purchased and replaced the upper and lower shift solenoids (new units). But I lost neutral. Forward and reverse work fine. Any suggestions for adjustments or checking of the solenoids. Any help is appreciated. <br /><br />Will

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Johnson 55hp hydro-electric shift, No neutral

In nuetral, the green wire from switch to solenoid should be live. The blue lead should not.

dragonslayer

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Will,<br /><br />Schematic is right, you need 12 volts on the green wire for neutral.<br /><br />I would unhook the shift wires under the hood and check the voltage. You should have no voltage on either wire in forward, battery voltage on only the green wire in neutral and battery voltage on the green and blue wire in the reverse position.<br /><br /> With the wires still unhooked, start the engine and apply 12 vots to the green wire to the solenoids only, this should give you neutral. Apply 12 volts to the green and blue at the same time and you should have reverse. <br /><br />This should isolate the problem to the control side or gearcase side of the motor.<br /><br />let us know what you find.<br /><br />Scott

wdudley

Cadet

Thanks Scott, I'll give that a try. I have a book that talks about the shift diodes. Not to sound stupid, but where are they located in the wiring sheme and what do they look like? I'll run through the different tests that i can think of and let you know what i find. I appreciate any help or suggestions you may have..<br />Thanks again Scott<br /><br />Will

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its strange that you have reverse but not neutral, as I remember it from doing mine, neutral required power to one soleniod, (as detailed by schematic and dragonslayer) and reverse requires both soleniods to be powered. so if you were not getting both you should not be getting reverse either..<br /><br />are you sure you got the two wires around the correct way? it sounds as though the reverse is working because its both wires (if both are energised, it will work however you hook it up.) but neutral isn't because its engaging the wrong soleniod.. or I should say disengaging the wrong soleniod.<br /><br />One thing I did with mine to make sure it was working before I bolted it back onto the motor was test it with my cordless drill.. I got an old socket extension, cut the female end off, and used a socket that fit onto the spline on top of the driveshaft.. then I put the extension into my cordless drill and spun it (the driveshaft).. then connecting the body of the leg to negative on a battery and one or both wires to the positive I could test all gear positions... once I was satisfied that it all worked, I reinstalled the foot.<br /><br />Hope this helps..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

petryshyn

Commander

There are 3 diodes to contend with. One is in the control box, the other two are called shift diodes and are together in a 3 wire device near the round rectifier. <br />If it were mine, I'd disconnect the solenoid leads (knife switchs)at the base of the powerhead. Then while idling, power up the green only. You should have nuetral. Power up the blue and green = reverse. No power = forward. If this all checks out, the leg is OK and judging by your complaint, I'd suspect shorted or wrong wiring.<br /><br />Are you sure you don't have nuetral. Are you running it on muffs? Sometimes a prop shaft will turn in nuetral if there is no resistance to rotation (prop in water) :)

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The '68 model used a spool valve that snapped on the end of the solenoid tube and moved up and down inside the oil pump housing. Sometimes it would come off the tube and stick inside the pump. Later models included a spring to help retract a sticky valve.

wdudley

Cadet

Wow, thanks for all the information...I'll check it all out and let you folks know...Thanks again.<br /><br />Will