Johnson 48 Question

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was looking in to buying a johnson 48 hp but before I by it I had a few questions?

1# Why 48 hp and not 50 is this motor and odd duck like the johnson 28 which I heard is not built all that well?

2#Does this motor has any issues that other johnsons don't have?

3# Do you think a 1989 48hp johnson worth $1200?

Jest looking for your 2 cents

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 48 Question

from what i have heard and believe those motors were commercial motors with fewer bells and whistles to attract econmy minded buyers..

the 48 specials didnt come with VRO ...

28 special 33 hp 48special 88 special 112 special...thats all i know..

youd never know the difference in usage...the 50 might have the VRO system ...so it will have a more elaborate fuel pump and an boat mounted oil tank and harness to match... those alone could account for several hundred dollars

if it were me, id go with the 48 special is all else being equal....condition, price,ect

bob

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Just a warning.Those engines "seem"to have a weakness in the gearcases.For some reason ,many people have been on here with blown gear cases .What makes it more troublesome is,they are a rare gearcase and replacements if found are bringing big money,almost as much as that engine is for sale.If your boat can handle a 65 0r 70 ,I highly suggest you look into one.They are great engines ,if you get mid 80's and newer.Parts are very avail.As for the 48 vs 50.It is mainly the VRO,internal parts,lowerunit .starters etc are all interchangable.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Just a warning.Those engines "seem"to have a weakness in the gearcases.For some reason ,many people have been on here with blown gear cases .What makes it more troublesome is,they are a rare gearcase and replacements if found are bringing big money,almost as much as that engine is for sale.If your boat can handle a 65 0r 70 ,I highly suggest you look into one.They are great engines ,if you get mid 80's and newer.Parts are very avail.As for the 48 vs 50.It is mainly the VRO,internal parts,lowerunit .starters etc are all interchangable.

are you saying that "basic size" motor, or the 48 special SPECIFICALLY

because the 48 and the 50 of the same year , have the same exact gearcase.

I know i had a few issues with my 2001 gearcase...but I heard from the mechanic it was a few years in a row they had the issues, and that gearcase is different than a 1989 48-50 hp gearcase!!!!

bob