Johnson 40hp Outboard

datsunsrule

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1975 Johnson 40hp outboard that I can't get to idle correctly. I recently rebuilt the carburetor and did not see any improvement. I tried several main jet adjustments, and it idles fine for about 10 seconds, then you can hear the rpm slowly drop until the motor stops running. I did notice that there is a spot on the engine block below the carburetor which is supposed to have a vacuum line attached to it but doesn't. Can that affect the idle?

Also, I was thinking about throwing new coils and condensers on it, and replacing the fuel pump diaphragm. Does anyone have any other recommendations???

Thank you! :cool:

40Johnny003.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson 40hp Outboard

Well, you need to start with some basic checks, compression and spark. The spark should jump a 7/16" gap and be bright blue. If the above checks out then you move on to the fuel delivery system.
I think the hose you are talking about is a oil return hose that goes to the upper part of the manifold.

datsunsrule

Cadet

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. The fuel lines are actually very old, and I need to check the spark.

datsunsrule

Cadet

Also, I removed the electric choke mechanism. Could that affect the idle?

datsunsrule

Cadet

Not sure why you would do that. Is it cold starting when your having the problem? Rick.

well, I'm not sure the electric choke is working properly because the choke has a tendency to rest in the closed position. I don't have an issue with cold starting, so I removed it to troubleshoot the rough idle.