Johnson 40hp generator problems

corvair kid

Cadet
I recently installed a generator on my 40hp Johnson. I got it all hooked up but it willnot charge unless the field circuit is grounded. When I ground the field terminal,the regulator works normally and charges the battery. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Corvairkid

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Johnson 40hp generator problems

Momentarily connect a jumper wire between the ARM. and BAT.terminals. DO this but avoid touching the field terminal. This is what is called polorizing the regulator to the generator.<br /><br />(old school)<br />I was talking about the terminals on the voltage regulator

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Where do you connect the battery wire coming from the rectifier into your system?<br />The trick is to create a reverse flow of electricity and reverse the chemical reaction inside your battery thereby charging it.<br />Also these things only charge above 2000 rpm.

corvair kid

Cadet

The charging wire connects to the battery side of the starter solenoid. I did all the steps in the Johnson manual for checking the regulator and generator and it tells me that the regulator is bad,but,what smokes me out is that when you ground the field terminal at the regulator,the thing takes off and charges like nobody's business and the regulator seems to work properly because the amp gauge shows about 10 amps and falls off to less than 5 amps or so as the battery builds up. I would like to figure something out before I have to buy a regulator which is probably inevitable.Man, those jokers are expensive and scarce as hens teeth!