Johnson 25 powerpack

lennie

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1985 Johnson 25. It starts, idles and trolls perfect but it will sputter and loose power at higher rpm's. this doesn't happen all the time and may run fine for an hour or so. I was told it needed a powerpack.<br />Is this common? What exactly does a powerpack do<br />Appreciate any feedback.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Johnson 25 powerpack

CD Ignition description, probably more than you really want to know:<br /><br />"The magneto Capacitor Discharge (CD) ignition system consists of five major components. They are:<br /><br />1) Flywheel Assembly – Contains two magnets, cast into the flywheel 180 degrees apart. These magnets are magnetically charged of opposite polarity.<br /><br />2) Charge Coil Assembly – A large coil of wire which generates Alternating Curent (AC) that is sent inot the Power Pack.<br /><br />3) Sensor Assembly – A small coil of wire which generates the triggering voltage for the Power Pack.<br /><br />4) Power Pack Assembly – Contains the electronic circuits necessary to produce ignition at the proper time:<br />a. Capacitor charge circuit<br />b. Triggering circuit<br />c. Capacitor Discharge circuit<br /> <br />5) Ignition Coils – Generate the very high voltage required to ignite the fuel in each cylinder."<br /><br />Source unknown, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.<br /><br />With all that being said, when my powerpack went out, it failed completely and absolutely. No partial failure at high-speed or anything. Absolutely no spark from either plug wire.

martinphantom

Seaman Apprentice

My understanding is that they usually either "work or not work". I suspect it's not the pack.

lennie

Recruit

Do you suppose it could be the coil rather than the powerpack?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

It could be any of the above mentioned components. I would suggest you get a manual for your motor, or at least find a library with one you can peruse. <br /><br />There are some tests outlined in the manual that you could perform. Otherwise, you or anybody else is just guessing.<br /><br />To answer your question, yes, it could be a coil. They are usually not expensive. I checked here at iboats and they're $17.71 ea. and your motor has 2.<br /><br />But, I'm just guessing.